The OpenWrt Firmware Selector

Previously discussed:

Also see:

It's great, but...
There is a choice of this version, so it is added, but the assembly does not go, because it is not supported?
And also, for example, version 19.07.XX for old routers. There is a choice, so added, but also not supported? Why then is there a choice?

Did you have an opportunity to read the linked posts?

:point_right: Here

Your answer appears in the first linked post. If you have additional questions, feel free to inquire.

I'm not understanding the version 19 example. Are you using an EOL version to compare a service release version not yet available?

I can select these versions on the page, but this does not lead to a positive result. Although by clicking on the "FOLDER" icon, I can download ready-made images with these firmware versions.
If I can select version data, why isn't the build happening? If for some reason these versions are not available for assembly, why are they available for selection?
I apologize for my bad english.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_availability

• 19.07.10 - "Unsupported branch" - old

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-life_(product)

@aparcar ???

Then why can I choose it?
For training?
If one is not yet there, and the other is already gone, perhaps it needs to be removed from the "MENU"?

He will be able to answer. Feel free to wait for an answer.

You can also Private Message him if you do not wish to wait for an answer.

ok.

Last night, for example, there were only 3 choices available.

1. Snapshot
  2. 22.03.3
  3. 21.02.5

Already explained:

That's not what I saw here.

I suspect the problems are a bunch of release-in-progress issues that will be fixed when the release is done.

2 Likes

Model
HiWiFi HC5611

Platform
ramips/mt76x8

Version
SNAPSHOT (r22594-5ec781c444)

Date
2023-04-18 22:10:57

NO OPEN 80 PORT.NO WIFI.JUST 22 PORT

My educated guess is, you are kind of short on time on a caps-locked keyboard and you recently learned 2 new things by trying:

1. snapshot are developer releases that don‘t come with a LuCi Web GUI by default. You have to install the GUI on snapshots manually https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/developmentinstallation
  2. that device is not supported yet. There are only developer snapshot releases so far. Could just be that no one has yet figured out, how to get Wifi up and running on that device. There seems to be a dedicated forum thread for that device, in case you find more time for posting: Add support for HiWiFi HC5611 for OpenWrt
5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Ac1200/archer c5 v3 not found in firmware selector

When you choose Customize installed packages and/or first boot script the default Installed Packages that appear in the list box aren't supposed to match those installed in the Official Stable versions?
Its notably missing Luci at least which should be on Stable versions ...
Or are they hardcoded somehow?

Can I get the list of packages installed by default on an official version to replace this list and match a custom build with the stable versions? That is without actually installing an official version and opkg list-installed...
I tried to get it from downloads.openwrt,org matching build dir but I'm not sure if I could use the list from config.buildinfo, the manifest file or where...

As far as I know, snapshots never contain Luci. You have to add it to the snapshot yourself – either in the Firmware Selector build your own firmware, build the firmware yourself on your machine, or install Luci through SSH (opkg update, opkg install luci).

1 Like

I was using a stable build (22.03.4), not SNAPSHOT (maybe it was not clear in the post, I edited it...)

@thorazine74 - You're not wrong here... if you customize the packages (and/or first boot scripts), even on a stable release version, it does require explicit specification of all of the desired packages -- including LuCI.

See this (not yet implemented, but could use more visibility -- voice your support if you agree it would be useful):

2 Likes

if you customize the packages (and/or first boot scripts), even on a stable release version, it does require explicit specification of all of the desired packages -- including LuCI.

But surely (and notwithstanding Add 2 or 3 "presets" to the online image builder) the list of packages that are pre-loaded into that Installed Packages list should be the full set that are available in the default pre-built-and-downloadable image -- i.e. so that by default, without adding or removing any packages, you get the same image as the pre-built downloadable image.

That is, even without Add 2 or 3 "presets" to the online image builder completed, the default list of packages in that box should be what Add 2 or 3 "presets" to the online image builder proposes as Normal / stable release like image.

Anything different seems like it's not embracing the principle of least surprise.

Adding up to this, it looks like if you just want to add a first boot script, without changing the installed packages list, this is not posible with the current design (you get a build with the first boot script AND the customized packages list from the twistie, not the default packages list from the stable release, which is what I would expect to happen).
Shouldn't both options be available separately to turn on/off as long as the custom package list is not pulled from the base image you are customizing?
I don't know if its even posible to do this programmatically (fetch the default package list from the base image) so maybe I'm requesting something thats not feasible...

I don't disagree that this would be a better 'starting point' for customizing a standard release build. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for the packages that are included/excluded when you request a custom build, but I do think it would make sense for the default (for a release build) to start with an inclusive list of all normally included packages.