The most powerful router with EASY installation

Even though you asked for something easy to install, I would like to advise you on learning more/as much as you can about OpenWRT and linux systems, it'll help you dealing with electronics in the future.

The WAN is 50mb down and 10mb up.

Thanks @hnyman I'll give a read.
@ 0xCrypt really is a must.
Thank you guys.

I have a 130Mb down, 15 Mb up connection and am able to max that out with my WRT3200ACM both with SQM Cake (layer_cake) on or off.

I will say that up until 6 months or so ago, I would not have recommended the WRT3200ACM due to driver instability from Marvell (the chipset manufacturer). However it feels like most of those issues are sorted out. The only thing I haven't been able to get OpenWrt to do with a WRT3200ACM is to use 160MHz or MU-MIMO, but I have no need for those yet.

I also tried an R7800 a year or so ago when the drivers for the WRT3200ACM weren't working well. The R7800 was easy to install as well. My main grievance with the R7800 was that I could not get that chipset to run SQM at my full connection speed. I have a similar experience with a C2600 (a very similar chipset to a R7800 as its in the IPQ806x family), so part of me questions if there is an existing issue with the QCA chipset/drivers with kernel 4.14 (which OpenWrt 18.06 is on right now).

Regardless, all the devices called out in this thread are solid choices.

1 Like

This is my fear, there are many chipsets that are not fully compatible with OPENWRT, which ends up crippling the router. Which chipsets have the most compatibility with OPENWRT?

Here you are. https://www.8devices.com/products/jalapeno
Native OpenWRT, quad core 700MHz CPU Cortex A7, 2x Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band concurrent radio, 128MB Nand, 256MB DDR3 Ram.
Price 99USD.

2 Likes

Thinking about it, there is a way out - flashing escalade's community builds from the ZyXEL OEM firmware:

http://luci.subsignal.org/~trondah/lede/ipq806x/r8532/

Which is recent enough to contain a full-featured factory image including luci - and can be used to downgrade to an official 18.06.1 sysupgrade image using the webinterface. Making this an all graphical (webinterface based) flashing method.

1 Like

@trendy I have already researched these 'mini computers' but the problem of most of them is the wireless signal that is bad for not having antennas. The hardware is extremely powerful.

Thanks for your slh feedback. I'll read about it.

Not a problem, you can connect any antenna you want on the U.FL connectors.

Hello everyone. I made installation instructions but I did not get the idea probably about versatility so my manual was rejected and deleted. I would welcome the discussion and its conclusions.
I also installed a product that did not have a functional LUCI. Which practically means a configuration via ssh and that was also wrong. Configuration via ssh I would like to welcome older products where there is generally little eprom etc.

2_mm_SMD_UFL_Socket

that's for me that don't know how the ufl stuff is made

any help on differences betwee 2,4 and 5 ghz antennas

Search Amazon, etc. for "ufl dual band antenna kit". The ports on the Jalapeno are dual band so you want dual band antennas.
The antenna kit is two parts, a cable that connects to the ufl port and brings it out to a standard RP-SMA connector like most routers have, and the antenna itself.