TFTP on Mac for dummies? (TL-WR902AC v3)

Working on a TL-WR902AC v3

I've seen: wrmem net/index.php/2016/02/28/using-the-built-in-tftp-server-on-os-x-el-capitan/
And: ww2.unime it/flr/tftpserver/

With the GUI, I get the permissions green, but nothing seems to happen when I click on start.

I've placed the firmware in the folder and set permissions, and set a static IP on my Mac while connected to the TP-Link's WiFi. And then held down the reset button while powering on the device. I'm not sure anything's happening though, and the admin still looks the same, so I guess I've not installed the OpenWRT firmware.

Also seen: openwrt org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr902ac_v3

And the instructions:

The only way to flash OpenWrt image in TL-WR902AC v3 is to use tftp recovery mode in U-Boot:

1. Configure PC with static IP 192.168.0.66/24 and tftp server.

2. Rename openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_tl-wr902ac-v3-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin to tp_recovery.bin and place it in tftp server directory.

3. Connect PC with the LAN port, press the reset button, power up the router and keep button pressed for around 6-7 seconds, until device starts downloading the file.

4. Router will download file from server, write it to flash and reboot.

I guess I'm missing something basic.

You can't use wlan for push-button tftp recovery, only wired ethernet (and putting an unmanaged switch inbetween can help a lot).

4 Likes

I've repeated the steps while connected over LAN, but I guess I'm probably still missing something.

Following this video, I ran the entire thing on a windows machine and it was much more intuitive. :slight_smile:

The Windows Firewall and any third-party firewalls must be turned off for the TFTP server to be able to work. A similar situation likely exists on MacOS.

1 Like