Test-build for R7800, with DSA enabled

It is not my intention to provide updated builds on a regular basis, support from my side will be limited to answering questions and providing information about the contents of this build.

I provide this build in support of all the great developers and others contributing to the development of OpenWRT/LEDE. I especially appreciate the work of @dissent1, on the ipq806x targets and on the R7800 in particularly, on which parts of this build are based upon. Also, it is very good to see others contributing as well @ptpt52

Sysupgrade-image added, link updated in the first post.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your build.
I installed it, and for the moment everything looks good.

Added second wan interface and installed mwan3, works perfectly.
Didn't test performance yet.

Thank you very much for your work.

Unfortunately i am a stupid beginner (linux and LEDE) and i am not able to install your image coming from the LEDE install image lede-17.01.4-ipq806x-R7800-squashfs-factory.img. The "flash new firmware image" page says that the openwrt-ipq806x-R7800-squashfs-factory_STA110_DSA.img is not a supported format.

Is somebody willing to guide me a little bit? I also tried to build the image from @hnyman but failed as well (not sure what to do with all the files after using the script from @hnyman).

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

//Edit:
i will try Sysupgrade -F imagename

You need sysupgrade image when flashing from a running LEDE router. Factory image is meant to be flashed from OEM original firmware.

If you only have factory image, you could use the Netgear TFTP recovery flash. Explained in the r7800 exploration thread.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. That was easy! :smile:
Now i will do some testing: https://abload.de/img/ledeqku2r.png

//Edit:

@bouwew:
This might not be interesting but in comparison to lede-17.01.4-ipq806x-R7800-squashfs-factory.img i am getting nearly 400Mbps instead of 30-50mbps with 5Ghz on my google pixel. So Wifi is working great. Not sure about DSA and other stuff (still a beginner).

The R7800 seems like a beast. Thanks to you @hnyman and @bouwew. Cheers!

Thanks for your effort, I can not find the sysupgrade file to test your compilation.

Weird, I thought I had updated the link in my first post.
I've updated the link again, now the sysupgrade-file should be present in the zip-file.

After trying its compilation, I must say that it does not work for me. I need to have the vlan enabled to tag my ftth connection. If in your next compilations you have this, I'll be happy to try your compilation again.

@robertogr Plz see this post and the posts around it on how to set-up a vlan with the present DSA-configuration: Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)
I will not include a vlan in my build, I have no use for it, I think.

1 Like

Vlan is a standard kernel feature. To tag wan port go to network - services - edit wan - physical settings - select custom interface: wan.X, where X is your vlan tag. So if you want to tag wan with 300 it should be wan.300

Then as I am reading, all the Vlan settings I can do from LUCI? With the compilation of Hnyman I did it directly from Putty, that's why I exatro when I installed this version did not appear anything about it.

Luci is just a GUI for the exactly same config files in /etc/config that you have modified with Putty.

(DSA uses separate interfaces for each port, so you probably have to modify the VLAN settings quite heavily.)

Hi, when I change the wan protocol to pppoe, the router freezes and I’m unable to access it, only a reset cures this issue, any ideas? My isp requires pppoe. Regards

@bouwew which branch of @dissent1's is this DSA build? I can't seem to find sta110-test-branch in his repo. Thank you.

-Shaun

sta110 branch:
https://github.com/dissent1/r7800/tree/sta110

But I am not sure if the DSA stuff is actually in that branch, or if that has been included separately in the build.

2 Likes

Correct, DSA is not in the sta110-branch. I added it separately. You can find the relevant info in the Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)-thread.

1 Like

Tried this build with default settings wired speeds are slow.

I am testing image based on @hnyman 's DSA build and ended up with strange behavior:

• devices connected to wired untaged ports of access point with DSA build are able to obtain DHCP config from router connected to VLAN trunk but at layer 3 are unable to communicate through that trunk: can't ping router nor anything connected to it
  • wireless devices connected to the same access point have access to the group of the devices described above but also to the router and everything connected to it

Here is my config from access point:

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fdc3:7364:38c6::/48'
	option packet_steering '1'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ipv6 '0'
	option ipaddr '10.0.0.2'
	option gateway '10.0.0.1'
	option hostname 'accesspoint'
	option ifname 'wan.1 lan1 lan2 lan3 lan4.1'
	option delegate '0'

config device
        option type '8021q'
        option ifname 'wan'
        option vid '1'
        option name 'wan.1'

config device
        option type '8021q'
        option ifname 'wan'
        option vid '3'
        option name 'wan.3'

config device
        option type '8021q'
        option ifname 'lan4'
        option vid '1'
        option name 'lan4.1'

config device
        option type '8021q'
        option ifname 'lan4'
        option vid '3'
        option name 'lan4.3'

config interface 'guest'
	option proto 'none'
	option ifname 'wan.3 lan4.3'
	option type 'bridge'

BTW enabling with current DSA test build VLAN filtering is causing immediate reboot with a chance for a boot loop.

for that reason @jow implemented earlier with non-DSA the default VLANs, so that all default switch configs included a numbered VLAN for lan and wan, like eth0.1 and eth1.2. That decreased the soft-bricks tremendously.

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/73d923ed6baabe3f8844f13216c50a6383a79a46

Right now with DSA, we are not generating any explicit switch config at all, so this gets ignored, I think.

(With R7800 I noticed a fixed connection drop immediately when I tried to enable "VLAN filtering". Wlan naturally worked. But there was no reboot loop.)