TD-W8980 openwrt installation help

Hi guys,

I just brought the TD-W8980 and would like to install openwrt on it, what is the procedure ?

If I want to try from the webinterface to install openwrt, can I try with this image ? (downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.1/targets/lantiq/xrx200/openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin)

I know that apparently with this device you can't install from the webinterface but I want to give a try, I don't like to touch the hardware too much, however I have a USB to TTL that I brought few years ago (for school) however I'm not confident to use this alone :smiley:

If I do it with my USB to TTL should I need a solder too ? :thinking: (sorry if it's a dumb question)

Thank you !! :slight_smile:

I have a "USB 2.0 TTL UART 6PI Module Serial Converter", is this thing good for the job or not ? :thinking:

And here the page for my device : https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_td-w8980

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w8980#installation

1 Like

Error code: 4503

The uploaded file was not accepted by the device.

:sweat:

I used the "openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" image to update from TP-Link upgrade interface and it don't want

Ummmm...since you have OEM firmware on it right now, you should be using the factory image.

Otherwise, you can explore web interface shell injection, as mentioned in TP-Link TD-W9980. As mentioned there, you need to split image sysupgrade into two, flashing the first part into mtdblock1 and the other one into mtdblock2.

Thank you I'm on it now, I really hope It will work this is my last chance however the Web Interface Hack tutorial mention the image for the TD-W8970 I don't know what to do

Only if it can be configured for 3.3-V logic levels! "TTL" levels (5 V) may fry your device. Do not connect Vcc with any serial adapter!

1 Like

Outch thank you jeff

I'm doing the web interface shell injection right now with the "openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" image

I should format my USB key to msDOS/vFAT, and I'm using KDE Partition Manager , I found msDOS but didn't found what vFAT, I formated my USB key to FAT32 is this ok ?

Create a 1310720 bytes block-size slice of the firmware file using dd ( this one needs to be on the USB stick as well ).

If I use the "openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" image should I still create a 1310720 bytes block-size slice ?

Or I have an idea I use the "openwrt-15.05.1-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade.image" image like used in the tutorial and I upgrade to "openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" in the web interface of openwrt is this possible or not ?

Please guys I need help for this one :slight_smile:

I will try with "openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" wish me luck guys :neutral_face:

I bricked my device, nothing work I tried ip 192.168.1.1 but it don't work, reset don't even work :fearful:

I did

dd if=openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin of=openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8980-squashfs-sysupgrade-1.bin bs=1310720 skip=1

and I did

cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/openwrt-15.05.1-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade.image > /dev/mtdblock1 cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/openwrt-15.05.1-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade-1.image > /dev/mtdblock2

However I made backup as mentioned in the tutorial, I don't know to restore my device with the backups made

I can't do telnet anymore it don't work :frowning:

My USB to TTL is the BTE13-007

I only see 5V on it :frowning:

At this point I can pay someone to do it for me

I know what I did wrong, when I written to /dev/mtdblock1 the first time It said " no such space left on device" , so with the stress I didn't read that this was intended behavior and through I made mistake so I removed the USB and made the original firmware, and after few minutes I read in the tutorial this was intended behavior so I made again my original firmware and did telnet again however I fucked up because I write .image instead of .sysupgrade :frowning:

So i guess firt mtdblock1 is written correctly but not mtdblock2 :frowning:

I have the same router with OpenWrt v18.06.1. At this point you need a USB-To-TTL adapter rated 3V and then you will need to solder three wires on the board, TX, RX, GND (should not be much of the problem though). If you dont have any soldering skills watch some youtube videos to learn.

Once you get serial access, you can stop the boot while loading U-Boot and then flash OpenWrt through TFTP. In my experience, using a serial connection is much less painful than any other because in the end you may need it anyway, so why not just have it already.

A post was split to a new topic: TD-W8980 Can I convert my device from adsl to vdsl?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.