Td w8970 - JFFS2-partition seems full and overlayfs is mounted read-only

Hi there,
I'm facing this warning msg

Your JFFS2-partition seems full and overlayfs is mounted read-only.
Please try to remove files from /overlay/upper/... and reboot!

The major issue is that now even if I want to remove some packages this is the outcome:

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/uhttpd.list: No such file or directory.

Somewhere on the net I saw the possibility to copy this file from different location but the destination is on read-only

I reset the router and loaded the backup resulting in same situation.

any hint how to solve it?

thanks

There often is no graceful way to recover from overfilling the jffs.

Re-flash (sysupgrade) with the same version. Restore your backup configuration then install only necessary packages.

1 Like

thanks mk24 for such quick answer.

I checked online on the openwrt documentation about factory reset using CLI and I used this instructions:

umount /overlay && jffs2reset && reboot

which accordingly to the name I though should reset the jffs partition. The modem was reset keeping installed extra packages

At this point I'm just courious where this instruction fails or what the actual utilization of it we can do.

By all mean, I was just thinking to reflash the system .... but I did hope for a more elegant option

cheers

If installed extra packages were kept then it didn't actually wipe the jffs. I'd consider mtd erase rootfs-data which will clobber the jffs and force a reformat to an almost empty file system (default config files will be built) on reboot.

...unless you've been using Firmware Selector, Image Builder, or Attended Sysupgrade to cram down your extra packages into the ROM. Which is a good way to save flash space when you really need it.

1 Like

Hi again.
Considering the limited resources I alwas though to prepare a custom image but never get that far.

I have installed standard ROM and extra packages have been keept.

Tomorrow with fresh mind I'll go over the fresh install

thanks for all your informations.

br

As your device has USB support you may be able to make use of an extroot configuration to work around the limited flash space; see also this post.