Sysupgrade or attended upgrade on x86 doesn't work from 22.03 to 22.03.1

I've got a x86_64 efi mini PC running 22.03 with an image built by the firmware selector. OpenWRT is running on a NVMe SSD drive, I installed it on that NVMe drive from a USB-stick. I now want to upgrade to the new 22.03.1 service release. There are several methods to do so. This isn't the first time I've installed or upgraded OpenWRT but is it my first time on a x86 device.

I've tried upgrade via luci-app-attendedsysupgrade, also tried the same on CLI with auc. Didn't work. I then requested a new build from the firmware selector for the 22.03.1 release, download the *.img.gz, unzipped it and then ran sysupgrade -i -v --test openwrt-22.03.1-6e69c7720449-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined-efi.img . I get the same result on these three methods.

The end result is that I think the upgrade succeeds on all three different methods, but that after rebooting the x86 device comes up with 22.03 instead of 22.03.1. AFAIK sysupgrade doesn't retain any logs so it's hard to debug what actually happens.

I'm suspecting my increased root partition and filesystem might play a role here but I don't see any clues of that in each of the three different methods I tried.

Any clues on getting more verbosity or some sort of detailed logging I can review during/while/after performing sysupgrade?