Kong, sysupgraded now no Luci (/etc/config/luci seems to be corrupt)

Folks I had installed Kong's NSS latest version but had been experiencing some lag generally on loading of websites so I thought I could use sysupgrade generic to return to non NSS but now when trying to access Luci GUI I get this message
"/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:369: /etc/config/luci seems to be corrupt, unable to find section 'main'"

Anything I can do ? I still have SSH Access
Cheers

if it's Kongs, ask at Kongs.

2 Likes

Folks I had installed Kong's NSS latest version but had been experiencing some lag generally on loading of websites so I thought I could use sysupgrade generic to return to the non NSS but now when trying to access Luci GUI I get this message
"/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:369: /etc/config/luci seems to be corrupt, unable to find section 'main'"

Anything I can do ? I still have SSH Access
Cheers

custom builds are installed at your own risk... you should seek support in a dedicated thread (if one exists?)... keeping config is not recommended...

Seems I can't post in Kong's thread for some unknown reason. Only reason I tried was sysupgrade file worked just fine when switching from generic to nss. Thanks anyway

did you try?

#scp FILE root@routerip:/tmp/
sysupgrade -v -F -n /tmp/official-sysupgrade.file

otherwise use the well documented tftp recovery proceedure...

1 Like

I've flagged this topic for merging with your last

There's no need to double post.

3 Likes

I just updated the normal Kong R7800 Openwrt firmware to the latest version he just posted and did not encounter any issues.

Whenever I have firmware problems I do not like, I always use the TFTP method and the reset button / put the router in flash mode method. That is one of the things I think is just great about these devices, the ease of blowing another firmware on them in a few minutes in this "direct flashing" method.

That way, the install is clean and any NVRAM settings are for sure correct.

On another note, I wish Kong would:

• keep older versions available and not just replace files in the firmware folder
  • would use a date or version numbering system so it is clear which is which
  • would provide a clear Change Log where today there is not one
  • would add a Donate button on his site so we can support Kong's important efforts

I have used Voxel firmware with great success in terms of reliability, but I like the CAKE SQM QOS of Kong's implementation. The dynamic QoS of Voxel/Netgear firmware is not anywhere near as good.

So recently moved back to Kong and wanting to stay with that strategy for hopefully a long time!

My setup is now as follows:

• Netgear cable modem for 500 Mbs service
  • OpnSense firewall on Protectli type device - works exceedingly well, but the firewall QoS is not effective IMO
  • R7800 behind it (yes, double NAT, I know and DO not care, the internet is full of devices) with now Kong OpenWRT to have the reliability and ease of use of OpenWRT and KONG's customization and CAKE QoS - not running DHCP or DNS on it - routing ONLY
  • A Raspberry Pi 4 running Pi Hole for DNS and DHCP - works great and hardly ever reboot the little guy
  • An Asus AX58U AP for part of the family wifi network, running Asus stock currently
  • A 2nd AX58U AP for myself, so I can mess with stuff without impacting others, test new firmware, etc, currently running the latest Merlin 386.2 version
  • then I have a number of R7000 devices running Freshtomato as client bridges for things like the TV area and other situations where having a switch for several network wires to local devices is just handy to have.

The APs were R7800s for several years, but the WiFi reach of the AX58U is better and I put two cheap AX200 cards in two laptops, for even higher throughput than the AC cards had.

Just wanted to clarify the network context I'm using the R7800 in these days and why CAKE QoS is therefore important to me. I have basically split up ALL the functions into "best in class" and modular devices for each purpose.

Just updated to the latest Kong firmware for the R7800 from:

http://desipro.de/openwrt/19.07/

All good. Thanks Kong!!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.