Sysupgrade image is corrupt

I have MT7623N device and want to upgrade rather old lede (kernel 4.9.44) with newest OpenWrt 18.06 (kernel 4.14.91).

I cloned the repo, compiled it and got *-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin, but whenever I try to use it with sysupgrade I get

Image not in /tmp, copying...
Image metadata not found
The upgarde image is corrupt.
Image check 'platform_check_image' failed.

The same happens with image downloaded from openwrt repository.

Is it possible to upgrade from LEDE to OpenWRT? I've noticed that for lede sysupgrade is a tar archive and here it is bin.

Can you confirm what version of lede you have installed.

Are you upgrading to 18.06.1 or something else?

I have two devices there were running one of the lede versions, 3rd or 4th from memory , and they upgraded to 18.06.1 fine. (When i upgraded to lede from chaos calmer they both bricked and I had to tftp flash them . )

What recovery methods does your device have?

1 Like

Can you confirm what version of lede you have installed.

It is hard to say..., because I work with forked repository. It says reboot, but there are some commits from 2017, before 17.01.5 tag in official repository.

Are you upgrading to 18.06.1 or something else?

I compiled from openwrt-18.06 branch so it is ahead of 18.06.1.

What recovery methods does your device have?

I have no idea.

I will try to run the image using tftpboot and will inform about the result.

Um, i cant find that device in the toh... i think sysupgrade is actually aborting as a safety measure...

Image check 'platform_check_image' failed

Can you confirm the model is definitely MT7623N ? What are the specs for that? What makefiles settings / device target did you compile for?

MT7623N is the SoC, not the model number.

Here is the precompiled image https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.1/targets/mediatek/mt7623/, but initramfs do not boot using tftpboot.

It looked like it is booting, because it got to network initialization but then stopped. I am using serial connection.

OK. Clean image is working. Didn't have tty on serial port.

I'll deal with upgrade later.

1 Like