Syntax error when trying to load U-Boot on Fritz!box 7530

I'm following the instructions on this page [OpenWrt Wiki] AVM FRITZ!Box 7520 / 7530 and have installed python, changed my IP to static 192.168.1.70/24 and placed both files in the same folder, but whenever I try to run the command listed

> ./eva_ramboot.py --offset 0x85000000 192.168.178.1 uboot-fritz7530.bin

I get a syntax error

I tried it running through both python and cmd.
Any idea what I've done wrong?

If this is windows, maybe try the backslash \ instead of / ?

2 Likes

Or python3 eva_ramboot.py.

2 Likes

Please see here if you are using Windows.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for the help. I did get further using your guide but I ran into a couple of issues.

First, when running cd tftpd64.462 I get an error saying the system cannot find the path specified. I can remove the cd but I imagine this leads to a different command?

I tried doing it regardless, running the command without cd and seemed to succeed just fine until step 16. When I open tftpd64 and select the IP from the dropdown, I don't get anything on the server screen.

Thanks again for your help, your guide so far has been so detailed.

the instruction says
9. Go to the desired directory (I assume that tftpd64.462 was placed in your Desktop) in the command prompt by using:
making this user specific, especially if the TFTPd64 version gets bumped.

post a screenshot

1 Like

You know what, I misunderstood that I should extract tftpd into a folder of its own. Sorry.

1 Like

I had misunderstood and not made a folder named tftpd64.462, hence the issue with that command.

anyway here's what happens

do you have a file with that name in your TFTPd dir ?

I do, but it's named FRITZ7530.bin.itb for some reason. I didn't modify it I just kept it the way it was when I downloaded the file. I'll try to rename the file. Thanks, I had missed that.

classic Windows, especially if your windows explorer is set not to show the file extensions.

2 Likes

I hate to fall over my own feet at every single step, but here's where we are now:

I understand that this might be the solution

• OPTIONAL (a). If suddenly the connection drops and the command prompt gives a message saying that someone may be doing “nasty” things etc and you are not allowed to proceed with the 2 scp commands above, then you can alternatively try using WinSCP to SSH into the router’s “/tmp/” directory and copy the two files manually there with right-click -> copy from the tftpd64.462 folder and paste them into the “tmp” directory. To connect to the router via SSH and look at the folder structure and do file transfers on a gui environemnt, open up WinSCP, choose SCP as protocol and enter 192.168.1.1 as host name and root as username. After the 2 files are transferred to the “tmp” folder, proceed to the next step.

However I just want to make sure I've copied the correct files into the correct directory so here's a screenshot

well, the file name is cut off, so ... :wink:

Okay, I found a couple brain cells in the bottom of my bag and figured it out. Sorry.

The beauty of being a Windows user is you think you know what you're doing but you don't.

The files are in the right place, no? I did as follows

To connect to the router via SSH and look at the folder structure and do file transfers on a gui environemnt, open up WinSCP, choose SCP as protocol and enter 192.168.1.1 as host name and root as username. After the 2 files are transferred to the “tmp” folder, proceed to the next step.

note I did not see a TMP folder

Then I opened PuTTY and followed the instructions. "Couldn't open image file" error.

Completely different file names ?

The file names in the instructions are

scp uboot-fritz7530.bin root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/
scp openwrt-22.03.2-ipq40xx-generic-avm_fritzbox-7530-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/

and those are the two files I transferred

I found the TMP folder eventually.

This isn't the exact error message as stated in the instructions but I still seem to have been successful. Anyhow now I have no internet, so I suppose I will go figure out how to set that up. The OpenWRT interface at 192.168.1.1 is working just fine.

1 Like

Why did you go with 22.03.2? The DSL modem isn't going to work in this version, you need 23.05 and a firmware file to get it working (see also the Wiki).

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.