Support status WRT1200ACv2, WRT1900ACSv2

Hello everyone,

I consider buying a WRT1200AC or even a WRT1900ACS. Since it's not unlikely to a get a v2 device I would like to be clear on the wifi support status of those v2 boxes. Both are mentioned as unsupported (new wifi drivers needed). However, at least OpenWRT offers a modified build supporting WRT1200ACv2. Is there also an option with LEDE to get those devices running with wifi support?

As an alternative I also consider the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 (I know - it has less memory and CPU power but also significantly lower power consumption). What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance
Wolfgang

That info is outdated. All current LEDE builds fully support the WRT series out of the box up to the 3200ACM.

WIFI is mostly working fine on all WRTs except for the 3200ACM. But that is going to change soon too (new driver is almost done).

The 1900AC has issues (sudden reboots) with builds using kernel 4.9. The LEDE stable release is still on kernel 4.4 so just get that if you are going for a 1900AC.

1 Like

Reboot is on mamba(AC) not shelby(ACS), that was quick

Wow - that was a quick reply! Glad to hear that wifi on v2 devices are fully supported. Is VLAN and VLAN tagging also supported on all switch port (including WAN port)? I heard that some devices/chipsets have certain limitation with respect to VLAN and VLAN tagging.

I have a 3200ACM and had no trouble doing VLAN config on the LAN ports after support was added to swconfig.

Havent tried messing with the VLAN on the WAN port since I don't need a special VLAN for my internet connection.

But since WAN/LAN are on their own VLAN by default (at least on the 3200ACM) I assume it works fine.

archer c7. wifi card is replaceable.

Hi. I use VLAN tagging om WAN port.Works fine for me. Using 1900acs v2

Hey guys,

thanks for your valuable support. I will likely go for the 1900ACS then.

-- Wolfgang

Hi, I have WRT1200ACv2 and it's very stable.

I have mldonkey running from 20 days, 11 2.4 GHz clients, 2 5GHz clients and openvpn server running with 2 clients.

1 Like

Finally got my 1900ACSv2. Just to be sure to flash the correct image since it is not referenced on the device's techdata page: The image to be used is lede-17.01.1-mvebu-linksys-wrt1900acv2-squashfs-factory (assuming an installation over the stock firmware)? What exactly is the difference to the image without v2 (which is supposed to be used on v1 devices) - just the new wifi drivers?

Regards
Wolfgang

Please mind: WRT1900AC != WRT1900ACS

Argh - just noticed that I asked for wrt1900acv2 which is obviously not the correct image for a ACSv2 device. So, since there is only one image for ACS devices this question became obsolete ...

Thanks tmomas - while re-reading my previous post I just noticed my fault as well :wink:

Hi @Knekkert,
I'm trying to use vlan tagging on WAN port without success.
Can you copy and paste your current configuration?

I'm putting VLAN 255 on WAN port, are there any limitations with ID number of vlan?

Thank you!

Hi @cappe87,
I have a 1200ac, but maybe the config is similar and can help you. In my case I've two PPPoE's on a tagged subinterface.

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option ifname 'eth1.35'
        option password '****'
        option ipv6 'auto'
        option mtu '1492'
        option username '****'
        option peerdns '0'
        option dns '8.8.8.8'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option ifname 'eth1.35'
        option username '****'
        option password '****'
        option ipv6 'auto'
        option mtu '1492'
        option peerdns '0'
        option dns '2001:4860:4860::8888'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option vid '1'
        option ports '0 1 2 3 5'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '3'
        option ports '4t 6t'
        option vid '35'

How fast is this router with SQM and cake? Can anyone provide me any information about that? I read in the past about issues with 2.4Ghz networks not being as stable and dependable as in ath9k devices. Can anyone conform or deny?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.