First of all, there's a new "release" out based on kernel 4.14.93 (same place as before). That's the last kernel @nossiac's modules are compiled for, so this should be more reliable. Go get it and share it with all your friends. I also created a new git "branch" in case someone wants to build it himself.
@nossiac's kernel modules (and associated stuff) are bundled. 2.4ghz is still OK but still the same problems with 5ghz (which I honestly haven't done much to track down).
@followme_8: yeah, I had read that post and I have the [1-2].dat and .eeprom files where @nossiac says they should be. Still no luck. It looks like it's trying to configure rai0 (the 2nd interface) as 2.4ghz as well.... rather bizarre.
But obviously your mileage may vary (and i'm by no means an expert in network and especially wireless configuration), so please don't be shy and try it out.
PS: @pellmen: what I did to "configure" (if it can be called that) is to grab eeprom.*.bin from the "Factory" partition:
dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=/lib/firmware/eeprom.1.bin bs=1k count=1
dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=/lib/firmware/eeprom.2.bin bs=1k count=1 skip=32
(you can then run 'hexdump' on them to make sure the first 4 bytes are '7615')
The bizarre thing is that stock xiaomi also eeprom files (3 of them to be exact) in /lib/wifi/*eeprom.bin but they aren't the same as the files in the "Factory" partition...
@nossiac already has some *.dat files in /etc/wireless/mt7615, which I just kept. (stock also has *.dat files in /etc/wireless/mt7615e[2|5|/*.dat but I didn't really investigate their differences) I also copied /lib/wifi/singlesku/SingleSKU.dat from stock to /etc/wireless/mt7615/mt7615-sku.dat but I'm not sure it made much of a difference.
[edit: obviously I was doing something wrong because it wasn't working.... please don't do what I've tried here. See the instructions on my github page.]