Support for Xiaomi Wifi R3P Pro?

About the [Xiaomi R3P Pro] wireless functionality being broken.

The "Firmware OpenWrt snapshot Install" has WIFI support and the "Firmware OpenWrt snapshot Upgrade" has no WIFI at all. I am aware that its because the current kernel for the UPGRADE SNAPSHOT image is 4.14.134 and is not currently supported by @nossiac as the newest version on his website is mt7603-for-mt7621-linux-4.14.123.ko

Do you guys have any prediction on when it will be fixed? Can someone explain the steps necessary to getting wifi back working on latest commit? If you guys explain in details maybe I can collaborate on having it fixed and commit the fix on your git repo.

I am recording a step-by-step video on upgrading Xiaomi R3P Pro with OpenWrt to help new users to migrate and OpenWrt and get the most of the OS advanced features but currently OpenWrt is not something I'd recommend for Xiaomi R3P Pro users. I currently I am using mine without WIFI and that's kind of useless if I have to purchase another router just for WIFI. Don't get me wrong. OpenWrt is AMAZING! but Wireless functionality is almost mandatory for a router.

um @willianma if you're recording a video on how to put openwrt on the R3P i'd suggest at least reading this forum and the toh (use google) both of which give detailed instructions on how to install openwrt with wifi and without @nossiac's binary modules. we've had working wifi for months now.

additionally, there is now mt7615 support in "trunk" openwrt, and yesterday i filed a PR to have the packages installed on R3P by default (no response yet). although slower, that is currently usable as well.

@intelfx yeah i put in a PR to have mt76/mt7615e installed on MIR3P by default. hopefully it will be accepted soon.

oh and yes, the mt76 driver is (from what i've seen) about half the speed of the closed-source driver. otherwise seems OK, though.

1 Like

@zlly20 unless i'm mistaken, ntfs write support is with ntfs-3g which uses fuse

in general, to avoid kernel version mismatches (like you've seen) i've compiled a list of "requested kernel modules" which are included with a "release". if you read the instructions for the latest (v18.06.4) release on my github page, you'll see detailed instructions on how to use those. the default setup will try to grab the "openwrt snapshot" version which is a moving target.

as for kmod-sound-core which you're saying is required by minidlna... that's odd because no-one has requested it before. to test, i just installed it on my router, and it didn't have such a requirement. are you sure you didn't do something different?

@zlly20 @intelfx Here's a build with the requested NTFS support and minidlna added.

Also includes : OpenVPN, Wireshark, L2TP, Transmission, Samba4, EXT4 support

I guess I missed luci-app-transmission on the closed source wireless driver build. (4.14.132)

Here's with the open source wireless driver + custom packages (4.14.134)

2 Likes

I've solved the offload issue. Offload may make connection to vpn server behind the router work weird. (pptp and wireguard discussed here Netfilter "Flow offload" / HW NAT - #146 by dchard ). Not sure if it affects other connections. (Maybe game connections?). But the other like browsing web pages works fine.

The fix I found is adding rules in forwarding_rule to bypass offload for a specific server. While the other goes offload.

iptables -A forwarding_rule --destination $IP -j ACCEPT 
iptables -A forwarding_rule --source $IP -j ACCEPT 

thanks @pjgowtham, I guess I just need run a sysupgrade...

Hi, not totally new to the custom router firmware scene, but new to OpenWRT. I've got the build up and running on my router, everything working as expected. The only feature I'm really missing and hoping to get up and running is SQM. My home network has a few gamers and people that watch online video so with that and frequent downloading, bufferbloat can become and issue even though the total bandwidth is high.

I noticed that the SQM packages rely on kmods and those all have a version match with the latest release. It's not off by much, 4.14.134 in the repo, 4.14.132 installed, so I did a backup and took the risk of forcing the install to ignore the dependencies. I did actually install all the dependencies, I just used the force command to ignore the kernel mismatch hoping it would work anyway. The GUI element appeared and allowed configuration, but unfortunately it seemed that it wouldn't actually take effect. To be safe, I reflashed the firmware and loaded my backup from before I started messing with that stuff.

Anyway, I'm curious if there is any method to get SQM running on the latest release? Would I be able to build it myself and add those packages to a compiled build, or is this impossible because the kernel itself is custom due to the MTK chipset of the router or something like that and the traffic control packages simply won't work with it?

Another idea I had was if it were possible to obtain the versions of the packages and dependencies from the same version of the kernel, would that work? If so, where would I find them?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's been a lot of fun and a good learning experience spending the time tonight getting this all running and configuring it. I'm actually hoping that building/compiling it myself would allow this because then I'll have a reason to learn more new stuff :slight_smile:

I tried, but couldn't find those instructions here on this forum thread or anywhere else where I have looked for. Can you please help me out?

I also have upgraded yesterday for the latest version available on https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_r3p_pro with the filename
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-xiaomi_mir3p-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin which shows the kernel version 4.14.134 and this sysupgrade.bin image does not show the wifi menu on LuCi menu and interfaces listed are only LAN, WAN and WAN6 (no WLAN)

I also tried installing the kmod-mt7615e and it fails because wireless-regdb package is shown as NOT AVAILABLE.

Am I upgrading the firmware from the right link?

If you read the last 10 posts, you will find the required firmware files.

hi @tyr808 i use SQM as well, and build and "release" the kernel modules (etc) for it every time i make a new release.

see the release notes for "my" v18.06.4 release where it will show you how to point opkg at my github page so you can install SQM as painlessly as opkg install luci-app-sqm

i think the steps are pretty clear but let me know if you run into any problems.

@willianma strange you couldnt find the instructions. you already link to the TOH so you must have read it. i thought the instructions were pretty straightforward... are they confusing?

right. except if you read the instructions on the TOH you would have seen that it gives you another link to download.(i've just updated it so it points to our latest "release" which is v18.06.4 + closed source wifi) also i'm curious what you're sysupgrade'ing from if you had difficulty installing openwrt?

yeah. the closed-source mt7615e driver uses another interface. you'll see when you install it.

:slight_smile: no. that's your problem.

not sure about that package not being available. i would have assumed it would install it automagically if it depended on it (or maybe it should be installed manually)... i've filed a PR to have the mt76/mt7615e driver installed by default on stock openwrt (i've also changed the dts a little to accommodate for that... i'm not sure how well it will work without those changes)

Thanks @ilyas , the installation was simple with this method. However I'm unable to choose the cake codel. I see that the cake related packages are installed, I can see the cake options for the queue script, but cake discipline is missing, only fq_codel is in the dropdown menu. I've tried rebooting but it didn't solve it.

Thanks again for the help! I was hoping to use layer cake because I imagine the m3p has more than enough power to handle that (and I really don't run anything else on the router anyway), but even having the older fq_codel qos is a huge upgrade. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out why I can't seem to use the cake disc.

No they are pretty straightforward if you are referring to the informations on how to flash the firmware from the link https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_r3p_pro

So this link above is the place I can find the images with wifi support already working? About a month ago I have flashed my Xiaomi r3p pro with these images. The factory image is the first that I used and had wifi working. Then I have downloaded the sysupgrade.bin from this same link above and upgraded using the web interface to flash it, then after that, wifi wasn't there anymore. Recently I used the most recent sysupgrade.bin from that same link two days ago (upgraded kernel version to 4.14.134) but I still cannot see any wlan interfaces. Do you have any guesses on what I might be missing? Should this image have the wifi already working without installing any additional packages?
Thank you for your kind help in advance!

Because commits broke it. It's fixed in the master branch now

1 Like

The official builds are yet to include the mt7615e wireless drivers by default. So just ignore the official 'snapshot' build if you want wifi. @ilyas said he appealed the official release group to include them by default. So, for now you have to install one of the custom builds i linked to you earlier to get the wifi working. Go to the github page and under assets you will find the sysupgrade images.

1 Like

@Tyr808 yeah i was using "cake" as well, and realized the same thing (that it's missing, despite the fact that the packages are installed)... from what i've gathered it's been merged into kernel 4.19, but then (brilliantly) someone decided that they should remove the package for everyone... then some guy submitted patches to make it a package, but the last i saw on that he was being hen-pecked by people who's idea of a "code review" is "add a space here"... i hope @bartvz is right and it's fixed (haven't checked)...

@pjgowtham and anyone else who cares: regarding mt76/mt7615's performance: i'm seeing exactly the same performance (or better) as i formerly did on 5.0.2.0.. 115mbit on 2.4ghz (40mhz) and ~336mbit on 5ghz (haven't played around a lot... but 80mhz for sure...)

i'm going to keep playing around with the build options/configuration/drivers (dma in particular) to see their effect...

but given that mt76 is really working surprisingly well and can only expect it to get better, and given that 5.0.2.0 is quite honestly a mess that will keep breaking (and takes a huge effort to maintain), i would like to ask everyone on this forum to try out mt76/mt7615, and once we're all sure it's OK, then we'll close out our 5.0.2.0 hack, incorporate whatever build options or packages we need into stock openwrt, and we can all move on with our lives :wink:

2 Likes

I can vouch for the open source drivers. it has been working stably since i set it up. Like you said it takes its sweet time to turn on the 5ghz, but once it does, it works without any frills.

1 Like

@ilyas ah okay well at least it's expected that it's not working then. I've yet to try compiling a build, limited experience outside of windows so that would be a monumental (yet probably fun) task for me. Is this something that someone could solve by compiling a build with the latest sources, or is it beyond that level?

Either way, no big deal, at least any sqm handles bufferbloat better than none at all, if I have to wait for a new release, I can't complain. My router is already so much better than it was on the stock firmware.