Support for TP-LINK TL-WR940N Ver 6.0

I use V4 Firmware on V4 and V5 Routers, If i try to use V4 Firmware on a V6 the router it rejects it.

I have around 25 v6 sitting on a table and those are the ones i want to set up.

V5 routers does have 4MB, same as the V6 and have 32MB on RAM just as the V6....
So in round numbers, should be the same, i ignore if there is any technical problem that LuCi works on one but not in the other.

This is V5 running LEDE with LuCI on a WR940N v5
LEDE1

root@LEDE:/# df -h
Filesystem_______________Size______Used_Available_Use%_Mounted on
/dev/root_________________2.3M______2.3M_________0_100%/rom
tmpfs___________________13.8M_____52.0K_____13.7M___0%
/tmp
/dev/mtdblock3___________512.0K____220.0K_____292.0K__43%/overlay
overlayfs:/overlay_________512.0K____220.0K____292.0K__43%
/
tmpfs___________________512.0K______0______512.0K___0%_/dev

Thank you, but V4 is up and running there

https://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/targets/ar71xx/generic/lede-17.01.4-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr940n-v4-squashfs-factory.bin

and this version is running flawlessly LEDE+LuCI on V4 and V5... but if i try to install it on a V6 via http, the router rejects it..

Robimarko has been helping me a lot and he compiled me a v6 compatible one but for some reason im getting:

Your JFFS2-partition seems full and overlayfs is mounted read-only.
Please try to remove files from /overlay/upper/... and reboot!

and not even the password can be changed...

Im trying to figure out how to mount that partition as Writeable and remove the files it says..

Thanks!

Can you sysupgrade -n with images I provided you with?

1 Like

I just did...

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-ar71xx-tiny-tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-
sysupgrade.bin
Image metadata not found
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Commencing upgrade. All shell sessions will be closed now.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed.

Now is writable... i think i can configure it now with uCI, Thanks again robiMarko..

Let you know how it went!

Thanks again!

Thanks @robimarko, Even if i dont have LuCI doesnt really matter, i already have scripts to configure all the routers with LEDE/OpenWRT using uCI, we have 2 configs

1 as an Access Point bridge.
2 As a Router with PPPoE...

both seem to work Fine.. i will give them a higher test to asure stability and perfomance and i let you know my feedback

For now its working with all my framework.!
MKTO

i got an Error 1 while trying to build image :frowning_face:

/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/include/toplevel.mk:216: recipe for target 'world' failed
make: *** [world] Error 1

Run with -j1 V=s to get actual error

thanks for reply robimarko, here it is

Makefile:2156: recipe for target 's-attrtab' failed
make[5]: *** [s-attrtab] Killed
make[5]: Leaving directory '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/build_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-5.5.0_musl/gcc-5.5.0-initial/gcc'
Makefile:4101: recipe for target 'all-gcc' failed
make[4]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/build_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-5.5.0_musl/gcc-5.5.0-initial'
Makefile:36: recipe for target '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/build_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-5.5.0_musl/gcc-5.5.0-initial/.built' failed
make[3]: *** [/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/build_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-5.5.0_musl/gcc-5.5.0-initial/.built] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/toolchain/gcc/initial'
toolchain/Makefile:96: recipe for target 'toolchain/gcc/initial/compile' failed
make[2]: *** [toolchain/gcc/initial/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6'
toolchain/Makefile:94: recipe for target '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-5.5.0_musl/stamp/.toolchain_compile' failed
make[1]: *** [/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-5.5.0_musl/stamp/.toolchain_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6'
/root/ledev6/openwrt-WR940N-v6/include/toplevel.mk:216: recipe for target 'world' failed
make: *** [world] Error 2

Really weird,but why are you building it yourself?
I have linked already built images
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yeCikuvqEQlFRLM2qiXu6eSbNr5lUVeF?usp=sharing

so its not possible to compile with openvpn-mbedtls and luci?

No,it cant fit into 4MB of flash

Im not sure openvpn, but luci alone, on V4 and V5 worked fine with 4MB.
sorry, im just trying to understand why..

for openvpn i have a premade image here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10wSWD5GaTyOOtaDLfTdajBy_WEFUOwqi

try this one .....
just feedback if it's not the one...so i can upload the other !!!

1 Like

am not sure with luci...
am using winscp to configure the vpn

wow i look at the file it;s 3.0 mb for sysupgrade wow....master robi how to make a file like that what file did you not include

@robimarko

sir i tried to compile again using your links at github but there's no "940n v6"

The WR940n is not in the generic subtarget any more, but in the "Devices with small flash"/"tiny". That is a recent change in the master codebase. So choose the correct subtarget first, then you should see the device.

On another topic: WTF did they go to one LED only, its ridiculous!

thanks jamest42...