Support for TP-Link Archer C59 v2

@kicken

Hi, I had a look at your GitHub branch and left some comments there. It already looks good in general.

Note that you miss the entries in 01_leds and 02_network at the moment. Those should be trivial to add, just put archer-c59-v2 there where archer-c59-v1 already is (no need to change anything else):
01_leds (1 occurrence)
02_network (2 occurences)

@adrianschmutzler

Thanks for the review. So far everything seems to be going alright letting it run. I'll get those updates you mentioned made and submit my pull request sometime in the next few days.

@kicken

Just realized that you will also have to fix the LED names for people updating from ar71xx here:

This is also missing for the other C58/C59/C60, I will do a patch for those.

This is also missing for the other C58/C59/C60, I will do a patch for those.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1156538/

Been using the port for a while now, it all is very smooth in terms of the core functionality (wifi). The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is the other LEDs that aren't related to the power and wifi LEDs but honestly doesn't bother much

@Kastilo

LED support is required to add a device to OpenWrt, but it should be easy to add ethernet LEDs by just adding c59-v2 to the same case as v1 in 01_leds (already suggested that above).

I made a new build with the recommended changes a while ago and have had that running for a bit. The router is at a friends house so I don't have ready access to it, but I asked them yesterday if there were any issues and they said no. I'm heading up to their place this week to do some other stuff and will try and verify all the LEDs. If all is good I'll submit my pull request with the changes.

1 Like

Can someone explain why there is no image available for Archer C59 v2 under the ath79 target for 19.07.0? I thought ar71xx was transitioning to ath79? ar71xx target is available for 19.07.0 though.

https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c59_v2
https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/ar71xx-ath79

Probably because the changes for ath79 support were not committed until after the 19.07 branch was created.

From what I see on their wiki, once a branch is created they only merge in necessary fixes and not any new features/platforms.

Snapshot builds are available which is what I've been using for my routers.

1 Like

As @kicken said, the device was added in September after the branch was done:

Backport of device support patches (or reviewing those) consumes considerable time, so we typically only backport device support if there is a particular reason for it, saving the time for bringing other things to master.

However, in that particular case it should be fairly easy to backport the device and build it yourself locally (done forget to convert back to DEVICE_TITLE again ...).

1 Like

link goes no where tho

OpenWrt image downloads for TP-Link Archer C59 v2

Since official 19.07 images are available now, I will set a timer for this topic to close.
Please open new topics for any open issues with this device.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.