Support for TP-Link Archer C5400

Hi There,

Just wanted to ask. Is TPLINK Archer C5400 (V2/V1) capable of running OpenWRT? There are a lot of problems with the firmware of this device and using OpenWRT on this really fast router can solve a lot of problems. I would be happy if someone just provides some detail about the development of this one if there is :D.

Hope anyone can clear this up to me?

Is it listed in the table of hardware? if not, you have your answer.

The device might be supportable (brcmfmac), but that doesn't mean anyone has done the work to actually add support for it yet (or ever).

Hardware specs for information:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C5400_v1.x
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C5400_v2.x

That’s great. If someone needs help for developing for this, I’m willing to help. :slight_smile:

This is the most high-end product from TP-Link and hopefully, we can work some out from it soon.

Like always,you need a dev to actually have the hardware to create support for it.
Looks similar to R8000

If the router uses OpenWRT as stock firmware, how hard would it be to port the GPL code to a custom firmware branch? What other router uses close to the same hardware that OpenWRT already supports? I have never built a firmware but im willing to learn.

@jeiannueva: I wonder if you ever found alternatives to the TP-Link firmware. I recently bought the same product and I have found, as did you, that the TP-Link firmware is very buggy. I should have known better - I've bought Chinese hardware before which has also had really terrible firmware.

Any interest in supporting this device yet ?
Are there any devs that are willing to start developing but need a device ?

2 Likes

I have never done it before, but I have the device (Goodwill,) I have the motivation (...god their stock firmware is miserable...) I have the tools (IDE, Coding Experience, Soldering Iron, Degree in Computer Networking...) but I only have Macbook Pros. I don't quite understand the builder requirements, but is it possible I can't do this on OS X with XCode and Homebrew?

I have been looking at this for years, but the OpenWRT build system doesn't make any sense to me so I never got started...

I think the world forgot about these things or something...!

I gave up waiting for any support for it. It seems highly unlikely anyway so i sold it.
Using Netgear R7800 and a Zyxel NBG6817. Good support and rock solid

Still not firm custom for the Archer c5400?

For what it's worth I have done the config backup file decryption and encryption which was only minor changes from the Archer C2300, thanks to @acc. This allows you to get an interactive ssh session and potentially to get root on the device, although I haven't tested that yet. https://github.com/anotherdave/tplink-archer-c5400

After hacking the configuration to work with New Zealand UFB fibre I finally got to test it out as a router, and it can only manage about 500Mbps, and hits about 60% CPU while doing that. So I can't recommend putting much effort into implementing OpenWRT on this guy. It's still OK as an access point though.