Support for TL-WR840N(ES) Ver 5.0 (EU)

How much space is not enough?

Hello guys, I have a TL-WR840N(BR) Ver 5.0 with original TP-LINK firmware, and I am able to test it.

I have noticed that is not possible no access uboot console during startup by typing ‘tpl’ during boot.

How do you guys used tftp in this case ? I have read the entire thread and would like to contribute with this device support. @robimarko @amaurynieto

Setup a TFTP server on a connected computer.

TFTP tutorials…

http://bit.ly/2yNN9ej

I cannot find tftp at the client side (router) so, how to proceed? @jwoods

Just flash sysupgrade.bin for 840 v5 through web ui

I thought was not possible to upload a sysupgrade through OEM web ui.
So I tried and the error was:

Error Code: 4503
The sent file was not accepted by the device

Original in portuguese
Erro de Código: 4503
O arquivo enviado não foi aceito pelo dispositivo.

@robimarko

It is.
But it looks like your model is regional so it refuses the firmware

@meistre can you copy-paste here your software version string from web ui?

As mentioned above, you would use TFTP from a connected computer, instead of the router.

@jwoods Is it possible to send the firmware through lan without tftp client at the router? I'm gonna check better.

Yes, that's why I posted links to download TFTP servers that can be used on your computer.

Please dont flash sysupgrade image over TFTP.
That will brick your router,if you need TFTP image I can send you one and then simply sysupgrade to latest OpenWRT

First I have heard that...

I have flashed firmware using a TFTP server (specifically tftp32 and tftp64) with no issues.

Thats because you need to pad out u-boot partition on this router.
Otherwise it will get bricked.
This is specific to 840 v4/v5 and 841 v13
Needed code:
https://github.com/robimarko/source/commit/617e1e047e2016798d0151df9a1b38042b3be7e5

So reading posts above, it sounds like that's because the v4 bootloader was used to build v5, not because the router can't accept TFTP images.

Yeah,it can accept TFTP images.
Router I used to get LEDE working even had then 840N v4 U-boot which off course bricked it 3 times when trying to TFTP flash until I looked at flashing command and saw that idiots used the same commands and v5 has half of the flash.

Thankfully they provide full U-boot sources in GPL so after building it I reflashed with proper version.
So now I can use TFTP for recovery if needed.
That Is why I did not include TFTP images in PR at all,since 99% of users wont bother to get USB to UART and check if their U-boot is proper one and there will be bricked boards.

@meistre can you copy-paste here your software version string from web ui?

@xssa
Firmware Version:
0.9.1 3.16 v004c.0 Build 170503 Rel.62775n
Hardware Version:
TL-WR840N v5 00000005

Thanks @robimarko, What means pad out uboot partition?

@robimarko Could you say what exactly you did in that commit ?

@jwoods, means that @robimarko used the uboot version from 840n v4.0 to build lede for 840n v5 ?