Support for TL-WR840N(ES) Ver 5.0 (EU)

I managed to install on ver 5.0 (EU) but I got wifi cant connect issue, it happen on any version LEDE or openwrt. Wifi is ok at first, but after 2 or 3 reboot or power cycle (pull & plug power adaptor) the wifi ruined, I cant connect from any device, it always said "Authentication problem" even the password is correct.

Anyone with working fw for this device in 2021? :slight_smile:

Here is my minimal custom image from latest 18.06 branch. Luci with adblock included. ipv6 and okpg removed. Configurations stick after reboot :).

Hello, can any one help me to install it.
I read the post but its not clear what to install or not.

Hello need support!
I have
Versión Firmware:0.9.1 3.16 v01e4.0 Build 170503 Rel.71903n
Versión Hardware:TL-WR840N v5 00000005

I will like to install OpenWRT in my Device. the problem i'm confused about what file i need to install and how? It seem like im need to use TFTP and then update to your File. its this correct?
Also i check and a few file cant find any more.
Please give me a advice!

Where you find the TFTP imagen? i cant find any file about that.
I need to install no luci version and the update?
the only file i found its about the GUI and only a TFTP but its the update.

how to sysupgrade after TFTP my router die after a try to install openwrt.
Now i cant acces and only can ping to see the router.

Hi, i flashed your custom firmware succesfully, ssh access works, but i cant acces to luci webgui, see the attachement.

I just discovered this thread. I need to build a minimal openwrt image for this router, TL-WR840N v5, that has basic routing & firewall functionality (iptables), along with wireguard. I don't need luci or anything else.

I managed to build a custom image that's under 4MB. However, I don't feel comfortable sending it straight to flash via TFTP. I would rather try to load it into RAM via UBOOT in order to test it first. I'd like to avoid hard-bricking as much as possible.

However, as others have mentioned, the RX line appears to be disabled in software, so there's no way to get into the UBOOT prompt and load the image into RAM. In fact, it seems as if the existing bootloader sets a CPU register flag that completely disables the RX pin since it also doesn't work once the LEDE kernel loads up.

So, my main question is how do I go about replacing UBOOT with a version that doesn't have the RX line disabled? Is this something that can be done over TFTP, or can it only be done with an SPI EEPROM flash tool?

• my 2nd question: Can someone more/less confirm if I'll should be able to achieve my goal of running a basic setup that can support wireguard? I don't care about throughput / performance. I just need the link to work.

Also, should I be trying to build with 19.07 or 18.06?

@robimarko @amaurynieto please help

Are you sure that its not just their traditional leaving out of UART resistors?

I'm actually doing this via "remote hands," since the target router is at another location. So, I can't be 100%, and my testing ability is limited by what I can get the other tech to do (he's not as knowledgeable in this stuff).

I instructed him to use a multimeter to probe the PCB & look for continuity between the RX pad & the mediatek chip. He said he got a beep when he probed a pin on the MTK chip that should correspond to the RX pin for UART0. I assumed this meant that the RX line was, in fact, connected directly back to the SoC.

There was also no continuity between RX and GND, so the pin wasn't being forcibly pulled down. There's also the possibility that the line is being pulled high to VCC, but it was my understanding that the TTL adapter could still drive the line low if this was case. I will try to have my remote tech test this stuff, but it's a slow process, so I'm not optimistic.

Is there anyway one of you guys could help confirm that the RX line is connected to the MTK chip?

You can get GPL code from TP-Link, that will include the U-boot as well and you can find where UART is disabled and remove that.

However, I would not advise attempting to flash remotely without a full NOR dump and a way to recover

Ok, so I sent an email off to TP-Link GPL support, asking for the src code for this router. Not sure if they'll respond anytime soon.

Assuming I'm able to get the source, what's the procedure for re-flashing the bootloader? Can it be done via TFTP, or does it require a full flash with an SPI programmer?

--> https://static.tp-link.com/resources/gpl/840v5.tar.gz

Thank you very much sir! I hope this is exactly what I needed (I'm working with the same 'ES' spanish/latin american regional version as @amaurynieto).

Assuming I manage to get this built, how would I go about flashing? Is it possible to flash the bootloader via TFTP, or can it only be done with an SPI programmer?

If there is a u-boot partition defined then you should be able to flash from OpenWrt with kmod-rw

Hello, I'm here to dig a grave.
How do I add a multi-language pack on A basic one: (No LuCI apps added, just SSH, LuCI interface and firewall)

I tried this, but WiFi won't come up.

radio0(mac80211): Interface type not supported

Anything that can be done about it?