Support for new Archer c5 v4

After look in to it all settings were fine.

you are pressing and holding down the 4, try stocking the 4 button by releasing and hitting continuously, seams weird to me also but it may help.

Hello shankar

I doubt the issue is this

The firmware is from 2018 i think the router is provided by my isp so i can not upgrade the firmware as well and also stuck with old uboot due to this bug

I afraid not, because its mentioned for the TP Recovery Method and you are trying with serial method.

not only this router all MT chip installed router will halt in the command section by pressing 4(as of my knowledge)

FYI My router from the isp act fiber and it doesnt support TP Recovery. so I flashed with serial method.

Hi Shankar,
First of all thank you for your detailed guide here.
I need to install open wrt on ACT provided router.
Can you please let me know if this product is suitable for installing openwrt?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07QGG7V28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JY.tFbFHGGWAR

I have both PL2303 and CP2102, both works fine with this router.

but PL2303 gives some driver problem with windows 10 and also buy one with jumper cables

I would suggest like this one below. but with the male jumper pin at the one end.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07SC45PR9/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Ok, I will get CP2102, I was thinking to get the cables set like below so no worries for jumper cables.

Cables: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074J9CPV3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PvfuFb5001EXR

CP2102:

Thank you Shankar, I got the CP2102 delivered now and installed openwrt sucessfully.
This is my first time working with openwrt.
Do you suggest any apps to install on this router ? Like security and adblocking ?

Once again thank you very much for your help.

This router dint have the memory to install dozens of software, so I would suggest you to install the block-mount first to extend the memory to install software you need.

See some tutorial online to know how to use block-mount.

Alright, I will try to read some tutorials. Are you using any software? or just the stock openwrt

new stock firmware of CZ region i tested on Indian C5v4
works well - all known issues resolved...

Initially the 2nd file below I flashed by flashed by serial TTL method
later, the 1st file below i could flash directly by web interface.

1:

Archer_C5(SP_CZWISP)v4_3.16.0_0.9.1_up_boot(191107)_2019-11-07_14.54.29.zip (english language)

2:

Archer_C5(SP_CZWISP)v4_3.16.0_0.9.1_up_boot(190815)_2019-08-15_10.02.14.bin (english language)(in rar file)

Also, GPL source for Archer C5v4 provided by TP-Link to me by email is:
https://mega.nz/#F!8wVwwS4D!-oelkBkxGoPX4vLXBVqtcg

Hope it helps many to fix stuff & get stable 2.4ghz wifi in openwrt firmware

Does anyone know how to edit the firmware to enable the tftp server ? (assuming is a simple hex change like a flag value or something)
I have a copy of dev/ production firmware for ACT FIBERNET(ISP in India)
I can confirm the firmware has some code regarding 192.168.0.66 and 192.168.0.225 IPs (checked using a hex editior).

I was facing 5ghz disconnection issues with the older firmware and I was told to first flash the dev firmware and then flash the prod firmware.
The worst part is, it still didn't solve the issue.

Firmware files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13ATSEgSyQy64ouuTFPUN1VKzOf51xVfe?usp=sharing

Hi Mohit,
I am assuming you are trying to install openwrt on ACT provided router?
The easiest way is Installation via serial connection, I did it in 2 minutes ( even though I am new to openwrt/linux/etc... and i did it in first go)

Hey Naveen,
Yes, I am trying to install openwrt on ACT provided router (Archer C5 V4).
The reason why I am asking for help to modify the firmware is because not everyone is comfortable with opening their routers.
I think it would be great if we can figure out a method to flash openwrt without opening the router.

Comprei um "TP Link Archer C5 AC1200 v4.1 (FCCID: TE7C5SPV4)". Gostaria de saber se algum brasileiro conseguiu colocar com sucesso alguma Firmware neste modelo.

I bought a "TP Link Archer C5 AC1200 v4.1 (FCCID: TE7C5SPV4)". I would like to know if any Brazilian has successfully placed some Firmware in this model.

Yeah I understand, even I would have hesitated to open the router, if i did not have another backup router.

But as of now I think serial is the only way to flash the firmware.
In this page they mention:

quote:

It is possible to install OpenWrt over TFTP on this device. However, in some older bootloader versions this function is broken and you can't use it. More info can be found in the U-Boot section.

unquote

It means we may have old bootloader version, maybe that is why we cant install over TFTP.
maybe you should look in direction of getting a stock firmware with newer bootloader version.

This is how I would proceed, be careful though flashing a wrong firmware could brick your device.

Good luck and do post if you make any progress.

It works but it have terrible 2.5Ghz performance (10Mbps). Everything else is ok

1 Like

thank you so much for the firmware files, 5ghz issue is resolved in this build.

After flashing those firmware, router got locked, it automatically updated ssid name, login credentials and everything to ACT default settings.
I logged in with this "act@123" and updated everything, So everything is working fine for me.

I am actually planning to buy archer c6 as this firmware update in the router, lets me enable repeater mode

Thank you again.

Hi from Brazil! :slight_smile:
Lets keep it english, as we can get more help here...
Newer C5 firmware accept tftp, so it is eazy to put openwrt in it...
But, as @luizluca said, 2.4Ghz is terrible....

The problem is in rt2x00 wireless driver (the driver that controls 2.4 wifi).
This driver does not implement all the low noise amplifier (LNA) algorithms. It needs a temperature compensation algorithm (TSSI) to modulate the tx power (as the vendor driver have)... The problem is that only C5 that I know of have this LNA chip connected in the 2.4Ghz for rt2x00. Maybe that's why no one have implemented that yet...

For now, one thing that helped is to reduce the txpower... I use txpower 10, as the lna filter the noise, too much power in wireless can interfere...

1 Like

Hi by mistake erased wrong segment any way to recover now.
below is the log and after this device is not even booting in boot menu

MT7620 # erase tplink 0x2000 0x7a0000

Erase flash !!
From 0x2000 length 0x7A0000
raspi_erase: offs:2000 len:7a0000
..........................................................................................................................
MT7620 # cp.b 0x80060000 0x20000 0x7a0000

Copy 0x80060000 to 0x00020000, count 0x7A0000....
raspi_write: to:20000 len:7a0000
..........................................................................................................................
MT7620 # reset

You erased bootloader and have to use SPI programmer to repair the brick.