Support for new Archer c5 v4

I am using Luci

By default, both 2.4G and 5G are disabled in OpenWRT.

• With the corresponding radio ( for me as shown, it is radio0 for 5GHz, radio1 for 2.4GHz), click add
  • fill in the SSID, Security type, PIN, etc.
  • save and apply

Please let me know if you want more detailed steps.

1 Like

Hi,
I have compared the WiFi speed of c5_v4_v22.03.1.zip and factory firmware with iperf3.
I don't know if there's some configuration to improve the performance, but this is not good enough for me.
I will keep using factory firmware configured as dummy AP and switch (bridge wan to lan).
It's still nice though, that there's newer openwrt version for the router.

2.4G-LAN:
factory

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 100 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 114 Mbits/sec

openwrt 20mhz

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 26 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 38 Mbits/sec

openwrt 40mhz

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 58 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 54 Mbits/sec

5G-LAN:
factory

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 327 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 410 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 4: 436 Mbits/sec

openwrt

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 225 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 236 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 4: 240 Mbits/sec

Br, Balázs

the latest ROM v22.03.2 from dkpost3 is really good to use.
i have tested in my home. compared with 19.07.2 from benwht, the wireless performance especially 2.4g improved a lot.
2.4G 802.11n 2T2R 20MHZ:
19.07.2(abount 23Mbps) 22.03.2(about 65Mbps)
5G 802.11ac 2T2R 80MHZ:
19.07.2(abount 220Mbps) 22.03.2(about 261Mbps)

The only issue is that the this version can not use the official kmods because the vermagic of kernel is different from official. That could be solved by a little hack in compiling.

However, I have no urgent need for kmods, so the current version is completely available. Thanks very much for developers' efforts. I will continue to use it for a period of time to report other information about its stability.

1 Like

I hope you can test with v22.03.2 and compare the performance with v22.03.1.

Are you running iperf3 at the Router?

Hi, I did the testing with v22.03.2 (OpenWrt 22.03.2 r19803-9a599fee93 / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.288.45147-96ec0cd, kernel 5.10.146).
I run iperf3 on my laptop and I use the laptop's LAN and WLAN (Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz).
I'm binding the iperf3 server on LAN: iperf3 -s -B 192.168.1.242
And I run the iperf3 client from WLAN: iperf3 -c 192.168.1.242 -B 192.168.1.229 -t 30 -P 2

2.4G-LAN:
20mhz

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 38 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 28 Mbits/sec

forced 40mhz (simply setting 40mhz did not apply)

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 49 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 54 Mbits/sec

5G-LAN:

• --time 60 --parallel 1: 228 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 2: 238 Mbits/sec
  • --time 30 --parallel 4: 223 Mbits/sec

Still not fast enough for my needs. Waste of hardware resource.
Maybe I will buy and try https://openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-ax53u

Br, Balázs

1 Like

Apparently the tp-link ec220-G5 uses the same hardware as this Archer C5 V4 Support for tp-link ec220-g5 - #6 by williamlemos253

I have ver:2.0, will it be the same?

If I installed the Archer C5 v4 on there and ran 100Mbit/s up&down internet on it with 5GhzWLAN would I be fine? Would I get full speeds?

Also noticed this: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4327
Is Giga Switch to do with Ethernet? Will Ethernet not work with OpenWRT currently?
Or Does it work fine?

1 Like

Does GigaSwitch have to do with Ethernet? - yes
Will Ethernet currently not work with OpenWRT? - no
Or is it working fine? - both the wire and the air work. The only caveat is speed. see the tests above, and if that's enough for you - great

v19.07.10
plz check

1 Like

Hi, im using this build, im getting really great wifi 5Ghz performance and good cable performance either, 200mbps, in open wrt 22 builds my max is 160mbps.

Thanks for the efforts!!

Hi,
I would like to use the c5 v4 together with another tp-link for fast roaming and meshing at the garden. Is package wpad-basic-wolfssl also in the dkpost3's build?
Thanx , TomS

Hey @Amat
I tried flashing my ACT router but unable to stop the boot process by pressing 4 on the console

Any suggestions?

Welcome to our forum Deepansh. Sorry about your troubles. I wish things were easier. Debugging is a long arduous process. I hope you have the patience and stamina for it. First step is to send me photographs of your set up and screenshot of the entire log. I will review and recommend further actions.

Best regards.

Amat

Thanks! Appreciate your help and time.
here are the screenshots,
TFTP Server and minicom serial console

entire boot log can be found here: https://pastebin.com/KXPqvTJj

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the log. I also need photos of your setup. This includes equipment and connections.

Thank you.

Amat

here you go

Thank you Deepansh. I may have identified the problem. You are using thin wires. The GND wire is acceptable but you need thick copper wires for your signals. Please replace the wires and report.

Best regards.

Amat

Alright, let me find better cables. if I can.
As an alternative TFTP recovery installation does not seem to work too, there is no read request on the TFTP server after booting the router with the reset button pressed. Any suggestions there?

Also, do you have the stock firmware file handy?

Thick solid copper wires are available at your local electrical store. Alternate TFTP requires about a month of debugging. Ignore it. Stock firmware links are posted previously.

Amat

Unless the cables are really bottom of the barrel, the ones in that picture should do fine for the given task. Yes, they could be a bit shorter, but the core diameter doesn't matter that much here, we're talking about a few mA to transfer.

I am trying to repair my router and i need full flash dump.
Can anyone with TP-Link Archer C5 v4 share full flash dump?