Support for new Archer c5 v4

The files and instructions you provided work just fine, the only adjustment required is that the patch complains about the permission of two files not being 644.

I fixed this by issuing something like this before applying the patch:

chmod 644 target/linux/ramips/mt7620/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds
chmod 644 target/linux/ramips/mt7620/base-files/etc/board.d/02_network

When doing git apply 4327.patch is is silent and returns nothing.

So I do not have the permission errors?

Update 2:

Basically, the current config from 19.07 do not work fully.

For the first boot up, there is switch0, with no ports active. Switch 1, which is the active switch.

After install of luci, any change of Interface config will result in failed when apply. Need to manually remove switch0 entries in /etc/config/network, reboot, then edits in luci will work.

Update: I proceeded to force upgrade. And it works so far.

I can generate the rom file after cp archerc5v4.config .config .

When flash the file with sysupgrade, I got:

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 17.26.56

Should I force upgrade?

Glad that worked for you. I don't know it didn't work how many times I tried building / flashing; not sure it is because the router is provided by my ISP (Act Fibernet from India).

After flashing the firmware using tftp the router reboots and doesn't connect to LAN. So, no way for me to access it.

1 Like

I remember when I do the first sysupgrade after build, I opt to keep existing configuration.

Then I can use the previous IP and Admin/password to access the router.

Only when I find the extra switch0 / switch1 issue, then I proceed to manually do a reset to factory vi ssh .

And, I think I build with the latest development snapshot, as I don't know how to select a tagged version using git, yet.

1 Like

Can this image work for TP-Link EC220-G5 ? Support for tp-link ec220-g5 - #5 by Guerra

I have no idea.

Maybe it will help? Support for tp-link ec220-g5 - #10 by nybash

1 Like

Hello Mythili,
Please share your solution for serial flash. I am having the same problem. The router fails to respond to '4' and 't' during power up.

Your help is appreciated.

Sorry all. I discovered the problem. Please ignore my request.

Thank you all.

Thank you for the images. I am using 19.07.02. I received kernel version mismatch error after openvpn-openssl package installation attempt. Please update the images to match kernel versions for this package. Thank you for your help.

FYI, the DSA driver for the Realtek rtl8367s got merged upstream today. It might arrive with kernel 5.18. Once that switch driver is available, it might not be too difficult to have C5v4 support merged.

This driver does not offload forwarding and all traffic between LAN ports still goes through the CPU. Maybe we can add the offload support before OpenWrt really uses it.

I have a branch with 5.15.17 kernel and dozens of backported patches that can generate a working image. There is a hack to disable all mediatek resets that prevented to boot the image. Mediatek Ethernet also have some trouble with checksum offload and incompatible dsa tag. I'll test changing the Realtek CPU tag position to the end of the packet. Maybe Mediatek will be happy with it. For now, it is disabling checksum offload.

If someone wants to take a look:

5 Likes
rstrip.sh: /home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/packages/ipkg-mipsel_24kc/kmod-nf-ipt/lib/modules/5.10.92/ip_tables.ko: relocatable
rstrip.sh: /home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/packages/ipkg-mipsel_24kc/kmod-nf-ipt/lib/modules/5.10.92/x_tables.ko: relocatable
Packaged contents of /home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/packages/ipkg-mipsel_24kc/kmod-nf-ipt into /home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/bin/targets/ramips/mt7620/packages/kmod-nf-ipt_5.10.92-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk
ERROR: module '/home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/linux-5.10.92/net/netfilter/nf_log_syslog.ko' is missing.
make[3]: *** [modules/netfilter.mk:88: /home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/bin/targets/ramips/mt7620/packages/kmod-ipt-core_5.10.92-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/package/kernel/linux'
time: package/kernel/linux/compile#5.44#1.65#8.78
    ERROR: package/kernel/linux failed to build.
make[2]: *** [package/Makefile:116: package/kernel/linux/compile] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca'
make[1]: *** [package/Makefile:110: /home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca'
make: *** [/home/lede-firmware/openwrt-luizluca/include/toplevel.mk:230: world] Error 2

How can I manage it?

You need to enable testing kernel (5.15). You are building linux-5.10.92

1 Like

make menuconfig > global > use testing kernel

Sorry, I could be more explicit. Thanks for sharing the way.

Unfortunately, this firmware won't work on my TP-LINK EC220. Ethernet switch and wlan5 don't work.

Hi! Can I flash the compiled firmware straight from stock? Thanks.

A little update, I got stuck in here:

make[5]: Entering directory '/home/felipearanda/openwrt/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/linux-5.15.17'
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CALL    scripts/atomic/check-atomics.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  CC      drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.o
In file included from ./include/linux/printk.h:11,
                 from ./include/linux/kernel.h:19,
                 from ./include/linux/list.h:9,
                 from ./include/linux/module.h:12,
                 from drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:15:
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c: In function 'fe_features_check':
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:817:41: error: request for member 'needed_tailroom' in something not a structure or union
  817 |                 WARN_ONCE(tag_ops->proto.needed_tailroom,
      |                                         ^
./include/linux/once_lite.h:15:41: note: in definition of macro 'DO_ONCE_LITE_IF'
   15 |                 bool __ret_do_once = !!(condition);                     \
      |                                         ^~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:817:17: note: in expansion of macro 'WARN_ONCE'
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from ./arch/mips/include/asm/bug.h:42,
                 from ./include/linux/bug.h:5,
                 from ./arch/mips/include/asm/cmpxchg.h:11,
                 from ./arch/mips/include/asm/atomic.h:22,
                 from ./include/linux/atomic.h:7,
                 from ./include/linux/cpumask.h:13,
                 from ./include/linux/smp.h:13,
                 from ./arch/mips/include/asm/cpu-type.h:12,
                 from ./arch/mips/include/asm/timex.h:19,
                 from ./include/linux/timex.h:65,
                 from ./include/linux/time32.h:13,
                 from ./include/linux/time.h:60,
                 from ./include/linux/stat.h:19,
                 from ./include/linux/module.h:13,
                 from drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:15:
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:821:41: error: invalid type argument of '->' (have 'unsigned int')
  821 |                           tag_ops->proto->name);
      |                                         ^~
./include/asm-generic/bug.h:91:62: note: in definition of macro '__WARN_printf'
   91 |                 warn_slowpath_fmt(__FILE__, __LINE__, taint, arg);      \
      |                                                              ^~~
./include/linux/once_lite.h:19:25: note: in expansion of macro 'WARN'
   19 |                         func(__VA_ARGS__);                              \
      |                         ^~~~
./include/asm-generic/bug.h:150:9: note: in expansion of macro 'DO_ONCE_LITE_IF'
  150 |         DO_ONCE_LITE_IF(condition, WARN, 1, format)
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:817:17: note: in expansion of macro 'WARN_ONCE'
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c: In function 'fe_probe':
drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.c:1624:9: warning: ignoring return value of 'device_reset' declared with attribute 'warn_unused_result' [-Wunused-result]
 1624 |         device_reset(&pdev->dev);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[9]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:277: drivers/net/ethernet/ralink/mtk_eth_soc.o] Error 1
make[8]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:540: drivers/net/ethernet/ralink] Error 2
make[7]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:540: drivers/net/ethernet] Error 2
make[6]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:540: drivers/net] Error 2
make[5]: *** [Makefile:1868: drivers] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/felipearanda/openwrt/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/linux-5.15.17'
make[4]: *** [Makefile:24: /home/felipearanda/openwrt/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7620/linux-5.15.17/.modules] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/felipearanda/openwrt/target/linux/ramips'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:11: compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/felipearanda/openwrt/target/linux'
time: target/linux/compile#3.76#1.19#5.02
    ERROR: target/linux failed to build.
make[2]: *** [target/Makefile:30: target/linux/compile] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/felipearanda/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [target/Makefile:23: /home/felipearanda/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/stamp/.target_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/felipearanda/openwrt'
make: *** [/home/felipearanda/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:230: world] Error 2

Hi! I was able to keep compiling by commenting out this part of the code:

/*WARN_ONCE(tag_ops->proto.needed_tailroom,
			  "The DSA TAG %s is added to the end of the packet."
			  "It will break HW and SW checksum for any driver "
			  "incompatible with that TAG (different vendor)",
			  tag_ops->proto->name);*/

But I believe this is part of the HW offload fix @luizluca created, right?

No. I believe you still need to use the tftp recovery method (or the serial port). Nothing has changed in that front.

I'll try to cleanup that branch a little bit more. There were some upstream changes that I need to put in sync.