Support for Netgear Orbi SXK80

Here are a couple of internal pictures to map out the LEDs:

LED2, 5, 7 and 9 are white
LED1, 4, 6 and 8 are RGB

On the other side of the unit there is LED3 which is the power light (between the power plug and ethernet ports):

@Flole looking at the unit with the cover off I can't see another LED connector on the board so not sure if this has one. I might keep this unit stock for now and see if I can do a bit more probing to see how the LEDs are handled.

Looks like I mixed up the 2 Netgear units I have, the one with the external LED connector is the RBX850.

1 Like

what do you do if you get “bad crc, using default environment”. Is there a way around this

The device should be fine as long as you don't proceed with the install of OpenWrt. It appears the environment hasn't been set, did you run:

fw_setenv bootcmd 'env default -a; saveenv; reset'

Then reboot the router first?

I managed to get it working, I just had to run that command several times in a row, I don’t know exactly what I did but it eventually took. I did upgrade to the latest Netgear firmware, and then after I tried again and entered that command about 5 times in a row, it worked as expected and it’s booting just fine. Now my big issue is that I can’t get internet no matter what, installed LuCi and it just seems like I’m not pulling a wan IP. I even tried it with TP link router in between my modem to see if it would work with a double NAT, and no dice. It’s gotta be a setting somewhere that I’m missing.

Hi, after some time I had now tried again to flash my sxs80 with your new branch, but upgrade is still failing. Luci or with sysupgrade both are running without error, but after reboot I m staying on the old Kernel 6.1.82.
root@sxs80:/tmp# uname -a
Linux sxs80 6.1.82 #0 SMP Fri Mar 22 14:01:03 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@sxs80:/tmp# sysupgrade -v /tmp/openwrt-qualcommax-ipq807x-netgear_sxs80-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Fri Apr 19 07:15:18 CEST 2024 upgrade: Saving config files...
etc/config/dhcp
etc/config/dhcp-opkg
etc/config/dropbear
etc/config/firewall
etc/config/firewall-opkg
etc/config/luci
etc/config/network
etc/config/rpcd
etc/config/smp_affinity
etc/config/system
etc/config/ubootenv
etc/config/uhttpd
etc/config/wireless
etc/dropbear/authorized_keys
etc/dropbear/dropbear_ed25519_host_key
etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
etc/fw_env.config
etc/group
etc/hosts
etc/inittab
etc/luci-uploads/.placeholder
etc/nftables.d/10-custom-filter-chains.nft
etc/nftables.d/README
etc/opkg/keys/b5043e70f9a75cde
etc/passwd
etc/profile
etc/rc.local
etc/shadow
etc/shells
etc/shinit
etc/sysctl.conf
Fri Apr 19 07:15:18 CEST 2024 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Command failed: Connection failed

from openwrt help I tried this, but it also fails:
root@sxs80:/tmp# mtd -r write /tmp/openwrt-qualcommax-ipq807x-netgear_sxs80-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin firmware
Could not open mtd device: firmware
Can't open device for writing!
Any idea how to solve that?
Thx in advance

Do you have serial access to the device? Can you see any output from sysupgrade when it reboots to apply the update?

Also support for SXK80 is now in OpenWrt snapshots so might be worth building from the latest code or trying the nightly image.