Support for Mikrotik Hap AC2

Works for me aswell :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can confirm that this also works fine for stealing neighbor's WiFi (aka client mode) just kidding :rofl:

pde, with your built I can boot MikroTik cAP ac and can connect to 2.4 and 5.0GHz

2 Likes

Installed @pde's build yesterday over ROS (and RouterBOARD) 7.1beta 2. Initramfs worked fine, but it doesn't want to boot the flashed firmware unless I use the other bootloader (by holding down reset first).
Can't use netinstall either, been trying a dozen versions and only the 7.1beta 2 one got me as far as "sending offer" but no further.
@robimarko Are the builds incompatible with the 7.1beta 2 bootloader or did I flash it wrong or something?

I dont know if ROS7 is incompatible as I have not tried it

I downgraded to ROS 6.4X (DoH was not available in v7) some time before installing OpenWRT on my unit. Did you upgraded the Routerboard firmware after installing ROS 7? If so can you get to Netinstall ROS 7 and downgrade to 6.4X?

@geminis3 Yes, I upgraded the RouterBOARD firmware right after I upgraded to ROS 7. Currently trying to use netinstall with no success so far, the device shows up but it's not installing the firmware.

Netinstall is very tricky, I had to disable all the network interfaces on my laptop to recover my router from a sudden brick with ROS. It said installing and immediately stopped, after an hour of tinkering it said erasing device and then the router came back to life.

Edit try to use ROS 6.47.2 npk firmware for Netinstall

I actually installed from 6.45.9. For Windows you can setup Hyper-V and install another Windows in it. Then netinstall only has one single network interface card and will work without any issues.

Are there any plans to achieve an officical OpenWrt firmware branch for MikroTik hAP ac2?

3 Likes

Finally managed to get back to ROS after 3 days of troubleshooting.
OpenWRT was pretty nice but I had to go back, it was severely limiting my gigabit PPPoE connection. Even with the software flow offloading turned on and with performance governor selected for the CPU I was only hitting about 430 Mbps down, which unfortunately is less than half my usual speed. (1 of the cores was basically maxed out downloading or uploading)

1 Like

The PR is stalled because Routerboot can't boot an ELF image so a stripped down copy of U-Boot was added as a workaround but that can't be merged into mainline.

Just wondering if this router is able of doing gigabit PPPoE with ROS (fasttrack I guess)?

@geminis3 as I can see 'old' and 'new-style' of hAP ac2 are works fine.
The official support of hAP ac2 by OpenWRT (mainline) are not planned or ... :slight_smile: ?

@dfunkt as noted @geminis3 seems in ROS fasttrack does his job.
Probably in the official release of OpenWRT all stuff are will be stabilized :wink:

New OpenWRT build based on latest mainstream branch with added @f00b4r0 patches for old and new style units.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JrYJUo14a6r3khoCPpAk5S-HscMqu2HI?usp=sharing

WPA3-Personal is also working on this build

Happy flashing!

2 Likes

Installed OpenWRT again, this time with RouterBOARD 6.47.2, and it works just fine. Seems like RouterBOARD version 7.x might be incompatible with the current device tree.

2 Likes

Are your PPPoE speeds still lower than ROS?

Yeah, as previously noted, about half as slow as ROS (~450-480 Mbps down on OpenWRT vs ~920-930 Mbps on ROS). This probably can't be fixed without Hardware NAT/Hardware Flow Offloading.
Another minor complaint of mine would be that you can't turn off all LEDs (WAN/LAN etc) like on ROS for a more stealth look, I generally keep mine off unless I'm doing troubleshooting.

1 Like

Can you check if packet steering helps throughput a bit? Are you using performance governor?

Edit: I've noticed that LAN lights only turn on if a 1Gbit rate is negotiated

1 Like

Exactly the same results with performance governor & packet steering enabled, no improvement at all.

1 Like