Support for Mikrotik Hap AC2

Hi @Blaze,
What is the difference between v21.02.0-rc3 and this firmware? Only sqm?

Also, did you see my wlan_data.bin file from this post?

This firmware base on snapshot r17237-7c4d79aa1c from https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt (2021/07/31)
Kernel Version up to 5.4.134. Too I added SQM and luci-theme-openwrt-2020.

I don't saw your wlan_data.bin and you must to have data_0 and data_2

# ls -l /sys/firmware/mikrotik/hard_config/wlan_data
-r--------    1 root     root             0 Jul 31 10:45 data_0
-r--------    1 root     root             0 Jul 31 10:45 data_2

OpenWrt 21.02 RC4 iPerf3 LAN - 5GHz WLAN benchmark

Host: Linux laptop connected through Cat 5e
Client: Xiaomi X3 Pro

Channel: 52 (DFS) @ 80MHz

I'm really happy with how good this unit performs after enabling irqbalance.

Hi, can I clarify a few questions about level of support? AFAICT it's fully supported and should work great using firmware from https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/mikrotik/mikrotik_rbd52g-5hacd2hnd-tc_hap_ac2, but may need a few manual tweaks to get good performance (related to wifi calibration data and/or irqbalance)?

Is it generally a good pick to buy specifically to run OpenWrt on it, or are there caveats to this hardware? (And any recommended alternatives if so?)

I would look somewhere else.

The device manufacturer thinks there is not enough RAM (128 MB) to run the 802.11ax wave2 features. OpenWrt uses special packages to try to work around this (ath10k-ct-smallbuffers).

Qualcomm has not done enough

1 Like

I have this weird packet loss with IPv4 on WAN, can anyone replicate that? It's about 3% via "ping -4" on the router (same from client), mostly single packets here and there, sometimes blackout for about 20 seconds, no packet loss at all with IPv6 (measured at the same time). I had no packet loss with ROS or when directly connecting a PC with the cable modem.
I have everything pretty vanilla, except setting up WLAN. Nothing in dmesg or logs, no cpu spikes. Any ideas?

1 Like

What model cable modem you using ?

@markbirss Thomson THG571K

Ok, I had this same strange WAN packet loss and performance issue recently when connected to a Ubiquity ERX running OpenWRT. (19.07.7 and 20 RC3) with a hAP AC2

Reverting the Ubuiqty ERX back to stock vendor firmware I did not have the issue anymore

1 Like

Wasn't getting good 5G speeds with ROS, so I dedided to run latest OpenWRT snapshot from RAM and give it a go.

First things first, speeds are slower and it tops out the first CPU core while speedtesting as shown in the screenshot below. This is probably the speed bottleneck on OpenWRT. It seems that it can't properly offload the work to the other cores or something.

With stock ROS I'm also only getting 200 Mbps tops (but the CPU only gets about 30% usage though)

Over the original ONU that came from the ISP, over 5G I'm getting 240Mbps immediately, while ROS and OpenWRT creep their way up to 200-ish slowly during the test.

I've tested this multiple times to rule out inconsistencies with the internet connection.

For the time being I'm going back to ROS.

Don't forget to install and enable irqbalance otherwise you won't be utilizing all the 4 cores and thus low throughput.

Also use the performance governor like ROS does instead of OpenWrt's default on demand governor.

PD: I decided to get another router to replace my ac2 not because of throughput issues but 128MB of RAM are not enough to run OpenWrt beyond the essential routing + WiFi capabilities, also VLANs are broken on IPQ401X targets.

1 Like

There is maximum what I got with PPPoE 1Gigabit cat5e cable WAN connection: 370/390 Mbps in speedtest.net

1. Scaling governor works perfectly with default ondemand option. I checked it by "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/cpuinfo_cur_freq" while speedtesting. And it scales up frequency immideatly.
  2. IqrBalance enabled by uci set irqbalance.irqbalance.enabled=1
  3. SW+HW offloading enabled in default firewall setting
    So that's sad ((
1 Like

Sadly PPPoE is very CPU intensive, btw can you get full line speed with RouterOS + Fasttrack enabled?

PD: I've tested ROS with Fasttrack over DHCP and I can get full gigabit speeds on iperf3 with low CPU usage.

Sure RouterOS shows 1Gbps without fasttrack even on slowest CPUs

1 Like

Oh thanks, I'll definitively try that and report back!
Do you know why OpenWRT doesn't enable this by default?

Do you get more without PPPoE? Would be sad if OpenWRT wouldn't be able to handle 1Gbps properly while ROS can.

1 Like

Currently I don't have OpenWrt on this unit but I'm sure it can do ~700mbps over DHCP without software offloading.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

And does OpenWRT support software offloading in order to get close (or to) 1gbps yet?

It does AFAIK the Archer C7 which is a slow MIPS based device can do 600mbps with software offloading, I'm sure the IPQ4018 can do 1gbps with offload enabled.

1 Like

Sure, without PPPoE it can full 1Gpbs

1 Like

I have installed 21.02-rc4 on hap ac2.
Is there any way to switch RouterBOOT from DHCP to BOOTP now?

I flashed openwrt with DHCP set in RouterBOOT (via winbox). So now I can't move back to RouterOS because Microtik's netinstall waits for BOOTP request but my RouterBOOT is in DHCP mode. So I can't netinstall RouterOS :frowning: