Support for Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS router+switch

Dear all,

I just purchased a Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS router+switch, which offers 1xGb Ethernet and 12 x 10G sftp+ cages and 2 x 25G SFP28. My provider is offering 10G fiber access and I need a powerful router. As far as I understand, this device can be used as a switch, so it is the hope of using only one device to route my home network.

Unfortunately, I had a first look at routerOS ans it seems far less flexible than OpenWRT or OPNsense. I have been using OpenWRT and Cicsco from command line and I don't like RouterOS syntax (maybe I am too lazy to learn it).

Also, I feel that I will need an extra OpenWRT box to provide additional services, like DNSSEC and the like.

So I would prefer to have only one OpenWRT device running. Any chance of OpenWRT supporting Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS?

Kind regards,
Kellogs

Hey Kellogs,

Not any time soon.

There is very little support for these Annapurna Labs alpine SoC in Linux: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amazon. The networking support push seemed to die when Amazon took over.
Mikrotik have not provided GPL sources for RouterOS v7, so their changes are against Linux 3.3.5.

Hello and Thanks John.

Ros 7.1 release candidate superseeds all previous releases which are end-of-life. So Mikrotik will be obliged to publish sooner or later. I miss OpenWRT, unfortunately there is no such powerful 10G embedded router with OpenWRT.

By the way, companies offering GPL don't have an obligation to publish over Internet. But if you contact them, they have an obligation to send you the GPL code over a media (ex: CD ROM). This is what Mikrotik probably does. On their website, some users advertise that their OS is "proprietary". They don't even understand that RouterOS is Linux.

Mikrotik is trying to claim that since v7 is in beta then they dont need to share GPL and that they will do it after v7 is stable.
That is a really week argument since anybody can download the v7 image and use it they are distributing the code and need to provide GPL licensed parts to anybody.

1 Like

Hello,

has there been any progress on this?
The GPL sources for ROS v7 are available here and here (second link taken from this thread).

3 Likes