Support for Cudy WR3000

mt7981-wo-firmware is not included yet in official build and must be pushed manually to router /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7981_wo.bin from git01.mediatek.com
Then
echo 'options mt7915e wed_enable=Y' >> /etc/modules.conf
After reboot wireless offload works

[    6.456486] mt7986-wmac 18000000.wifi: attaching wed device 0 version 2
[    6.611231] platform 15010000.wed: MTK WED WO Firmware Version: DEV_000000, Build Time: 20221208202138
[    6.620535] platform 15010000.wed: MTK WED WO Chip ID 00 Region 3

bridger package should be mandatory when wireless offload (WED) is in use .It's responsible for offloading local wired host tcp session to wireless clients and when You enable hw NAT you will get WAN-WLAN offload.

3 Likes

And today there were some interesting commits to among other things, the ethernet driver.
What is the user experience?
Hopefully, I'll have time in the weekend to crack out the serial cable.

I've asked a contact at Cudy to provide the unlocked firmware on their website :crossed_fingers:

Just to verify, it is not possible yet to flash the snapshot via the firmware update in the default router firmware? Or via another way?

Edit:
I just read the commit page, indeed only via serial :wink:

Cudy neither denied or agreed - they are busy for another 6 weeks before they want to commit to anything.

Still keeping fingers crossed

Thanks for the update, :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

cool story: I found OEM firmware very useful when ssh/dropbear was unlocked. I think we need nothing more than that to flash official OpenWrt or play around with configs . OEM fw is forked from OpenWrt 22.03 (swconfig) and crippled by Cudy to fit mid-tier router profile.

1 Like

New firmware released:

https://www.cudy.com/wr3000_software_download

Also found that there is a range of devices that use similar firmware and same mt7981 chipset
M3000 mesh with 1+2,5Gbit port
AP3000 AP with 2,5Gbit port
RE3000 wall plug AP with 1Gbit port B0BRK4BHYD
TR3000 Travel router with 1+2,5Gbit port (GL.iNet GL-MT3000 twin) B0BXNCRVRC

Apart RE3000 and TR3000 devices are nowhere to be found here in EU but should be fair easy supported

1 Like

there are like a dozen of mt7981 routers in chinese market rn. most are isp oem fw but can easily flash openwrt , the cheapest is like 15 usd

https://www.cudy.com/openwrt_software_download

updates: there is firmware for WR3000

cool stuff .Kernel 5.15 and mt76 based . Version shows OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22906-c9cb6411c1 (Just in commit where official support was added :slight_smile: ). Now any volunteer still in OEM willing to flash it ?

I could test on tuesday

1 Like

I downloaded and I'll say this - I don't know if it's only happening to me, but I can't turn on width 160. Neither the laptop nor the phone sees the network after that and on the router it shows that the network is disabled. In addition, the system is read-only

Welcome into OpenWrt . This is only intermediate firmware .After flashing it You should flash wr3000-23.05.0-rc2.bin or snapshot . Then You're on official build.
I have no issues getting 160Mhz on channel 36 and PA set in country region so You should too

1 Like

So to be clear, after i flashed it with the new cudy openwrt firmware, i can download the official openwrt sysupgrade file, RC or snapshot, and flash it directly via the webgui of cudy?

yes but probably will require force upgrade so make sure you use valid image and tick 'do not save settings '

Thanks,

Unfortunately the new Cudy openwrt firmware resulted in a non booting router, although i think. Because i couldn't connect to the webui afterwards or is the webui not installed with the Cudy openwrt firmware?

Nonetheless i flashed the recovery via tftpd and booted right up, with version 16.2. I tried the official openwrt RC version but it wouldn't accept it via the webui

i guess it's a snapshot, so no Luci. you should be able to connect with SSH.
They just give a snapshot downloaded from the openwrt site ?!

Anyway after flashing this firmware you can sysupgrade the latest RC2 :
https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.0-rc2&target=mediatek%2Ffilogic&id=cudy_wr3000-v1
at least you'll get access to Luci and other packages.

Great, thanks for suggestions.
That would explain why there is no webui, i will try tonight if i can SHH into the router.