Support for Asus RT-AC3200?

hello, i would ask if there any plans for adding LEDE firmware support for Asus rt-ac3200? i looking in router database but didn`t find it? Thanks

1 Like

so, no one from LEDE developers don't have a time for answer?

One day delay between question and post another question is bold to any standards.
Most people are volunteers here and doing this in their precious free time.

If the specs on wikidevi
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC3200
correct, you have no luck because of the Broadcom radios

thanks for replying....so, what router has best performence for wi-fi, wired and openvpn and compatibile with LEDE firmware? I have to buy new one if my asus do not get support....

We have a forum extra for this question: https://forum.openwrt.org/c/hardware-questions-and-recommendations

Why is that? The wiki clearly states

BCM43602 is supported in the mainline Linux kernel by brcmfmac

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/brcm80211 also lists BCM43602 being supported by brcmfmac

Sorry for this, I must revert my statement.
Read someones wiki page, better is to read the sources.

The driver is in vanilla sources
drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac

And I've done a quick view into the driver.
VHT is supported with spatial streams

So it should be possible ...

so, you mean we get lede firmware for asus 3200 in future?

As I said, it should be possible.

The (main ?) real reason why no one of the LEDE or OpenWRT devs are working on this is simple :

They normally need to own (or maybe lend) the device to test

grep'ing the sources and read the specs, I think Netgear R8000 is close to your device

1 Like

There's still no openwrt build specifically for the Asus RT-AC3200, so I'm trying all Asus firmwares I found here:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.0/targets/bcm53xx/generic/

So far here's what I found:

rt-ac87u: won't even boot
rt-ac68u: boots, lan works, but doesn't recognize the radios (no wifi)

Can I make the wifi work by installing some package/driver? Or maybe upgrading the kernel?

Any ideas will be very appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

The wifi card on this router is Broadcom BCM43602

The router is seriously damaged after flashing and using it with the above firmware.

Wan port simply won't connect anymore. Already flashed other firmwares and cleared Nvram, nothing helps, seems hardware damage.

Try do a tftp recovery if its available on the router.

In the future if you wish to experiment with blind flashing make sure you backup your partitions on the router (to save unique calibration data).. and make sure you don't override bootloader.

From your description I think it might be possible to recover it (worst case without working wifi) if you try tftp recovery (which most recent routers have).

Thanks, will give it a shot, definitely worth trying since router wasn't cheap.

So essentially what you're saying is that the flashing process in the tftp method is different (perhaps more "complete") than the one via the web interface (which I already tried but the Wan doesn't work afterwards)?

I understand that the Asus RT-AC3200 is not officially supported, Has anyone generated a build for this router ?

I would appreciate some advice on what snapshot target I should use to to build an image ?

I have tried google search and on the community forum but have not been able to find any thing

Thanks in advance

conpaul503

Dec '19

I understand that the Asus RT-AC3200 is not officially supported, Has anyone generated a build for this router ?

I would appreciate some advice on what snapshot target I should use to to build an image ?

I have tried google search and on the community forum but have not been able to find any thing

Thanks in advance

Any progress with this, @conpaul503? I have the same router running DD-WRT currently but would love to try to get an OpenWRT build working on it. Can you offer any updates, suggestions, or caveat emptors?

Thanks

Sadly no, Fresh Tomato works but the kernel is 2.6 from memory. Broadcom BCM43602 driver is not opensource is my understanding. I have been investigating FreeBSD and NetBSD for 32 bit arm devices for my company. In the end the effort with licenses etc the decision is to focus on 64bitCPU and Wi FI V6 etc.

send me private message and I can give you some details on nextgen offers my company is working on.

I have the same router, I'm using AdvancedTomato, I really like this variation of Shibby, it works well, no errors or problems so far. The fact is that the kernel is very outdated, as the friend mentioned ...

Here is someone with a lot of experience in the subject, @rmilecki