Support for Asrock G10

I prepared support for Asrock G10 some time ago:

But nobody of github users wasn't interested it. If someone would like to test support, I prepared images:

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/files/5325882/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-asrock_g10-squashfs-nand-images.zip

It is possible to revert stock images.

5 Likes

Good specs, how does it performs with openwrt? Because reviews from amazon or other sites say that they have bad performance for wifi and USB

I do not own this device, but I would like to point out that @robimarko and @chunkeey have also been working on it at some point. You might want to coordinate your efforts.

1 Like

USB isn't bad:

root@OpenWrt:/# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda2

/dev/sda2:
 Timing cached reads:   1212 MB in  2.00 seconds = 606.61 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 570 MB in  3.01 seconds = 189.40 MB/sec

root@OpenWrt:/# bonnie++ -u root  -f -b -d /mnt/benchmark
Using uid:0, gid:0.
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.
Version  1.98       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Name:Size etc        /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
OpenWrt          1G            127m  91 51.6m  46            145m  52  2616 150
Latency                       22367us   44054us               158ms   38461us
Version  1.98       ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
OpenWrt             -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 1564459847  11 +++++ +++ -313991415  10 1649544630  11 +++++ +++ 1987018337  10
Latency             32015us     673us     257ms   32183us     202us     259ms
1.98,1.98,OpenWrt,1,1601948100,1G,,8192,5,,,129993,91,52832,46,,,148108,52,2616,150,16,,,,,529,11,+++++,+++,434,10,475,11,+++++,+++,434,10,,22367us,44054us,,158ms,38461us,32015us,673us,257ms,32183us,202us,259ms```

At this moment I can't test wifi performance. Some time ago it was something around 300Mbit in iperf test. But I was not sure if it was a limit of router or client.

Hello!
Thanks for images!
Trying it I found:

1. It's impossible to update software list because lack of ssl-packets, install manually.
  2. During openvpn-openssl installation got an error:

The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 5.4.74-1-24a37ca3… while 5.4.69-1-d84f4206… is installed.

Now continue experiments.

UPD. mwan3 packet is kernel-incompatible too (((((((

@117

Thank You for tests.
Please describe, what packets do You need. I will prepare the image. You can't download kmods from repo because it isn't merged.

Missing packets is not а problem, I installed them manually.
They were: libustream-ssl, ca-bundle, ca-certificates.
Now the problem is that packets openvpn-openssl and mwan3 are kernel-imcompatible.
They need kernel version at least 5.4.74 but we have only 5.4.69.

I'm sorry i'm a noob in openwrt and maybe my explanations are incorrect, sorry!

Then if press INSTALL button:

So, You need kmods for openvpn-openssl and mwan3 features? Something else?

Yes. Thank You wasting Your time.

You're welcome. I'm happy that someone want use my work.

Images with mwan and openVPN:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/files/5493956/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-asrock_g10-squashfs-nand.zip

You can use sysupgrade image via luci.

1 Like

Tested it.
Adblock with adblock-luci, openvpn works fine!
Mwan3 can`t test now.
Thank You!

I received 2 free ASRock X10 routers as a promotion on Newegg for purchasing AMD products. Do you think this will work on the X10? I am not a dev and basically I can only follow steps to achieve a successful flash so forgive me. The stock UI on these routers is terrible, but the router itself is not too b ad, and free is always good.

If more information is needed on this X10 I will be happy to pop the cover off and give it to you.

No, the ASRock X10R is a completely different device. While it should be supportable (ipq4019), someone with the device on their desk will still have to port it over.

Exactly. It should be supportable, but I can't help without device.

Hello!
Happy New Year!
I see this thread is closed.
Can we hope to get stable?

Hello!

It's merged into master. Now official development images are available. You can download images from snapshot release folder.

It will be released with next 21.X stable.

Very good news!
You did very useful job. Thanks a lot! Dziękuję!
And sorry for my stupid questions.

1 Like

Oh man, finally! Thank you so much! I've been waiting for that for almost 2 years... DD-WRT is too buggy and i've missed UCI and opkg so much.

You are the best !

Edit: By the way, is there any known issues for which I should watch out and anything not wokring ?
Currently returning to stock from DD-WRT is not possible without TTL, any clue about OpenWRT-> Stock ?

Great news, i was in the process of compiling it myself when i saw there are already snaphsot images.

I recently flashed a Netgear R7800 from DDWRT to OpenWRT and it softbricked it somehow. Luckily they have TFTP to restore from failed flashes. I am tempted to give the snapshot for G10 a try. However do you guys know if the G10 has the same TFTP feature in its stock uboot bootloader to restore from a failed flash ?
On asrock forum one guy had to open it up and hook a serial console to the pins directly:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8139&title=g10-dead-bricked

As the flash failed for me once, i am not verry delighted having to open up the G10 and hook up to the serial interface :laughing:

Unfortunately i cannot find specifics on this online as the device is not verry popular. We could add the information for TFTP to the docs then: https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/asrock/asrock_g10

Everything should work.

"Back to stock:
Login to router via ssh
run "g10_back_to_factory" script from /sbin "

G10 uses stock recovery method. If You flash malfunctioned image, it will back to stock. IMO it's very hard bricable.