Suggestions for Build for Linksys WRT1900ACv1 with Gigabit Internet

Hi I'm a little new to OpenWRT. I've had a build on an old Linksys WRT1900ACv1 running Lede-17.01.7 but I'm looking to start fresh with the OpenWRT 19.07.2 firmware. I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on configurations.
Reasons for the change are that I just recently got gigabit internet and it doesn't appear to perform as well as I'd like, I'm running an old firmware I'd like to update but I'm a bit unfamiliar with the latest and greatest, and I'd really just like something new since I'm not totally in love with my current build since it's not performing well with sqm on or off.
There are a few things I'd like and if you can point me in the right direction I can probably thumb my way through it

• secure guest network config with throttled bandwidth
  • Cake or fq_codel config -- although I can probably work my way through that.
  • pretty standard 2.4 and 5 GHz ranges.
    I really don't do anything fancy but the reason i was drawn into openwrt in the first place was that I didn't really like the linksys firmware and I wanted to test out fq_codel for a better experience with video conferencing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!
Adam

Try https://dc502wrt.org. Also, check out this ongoing thread for this build here: Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely have to check it out

I have a WRT1200AC and it manages to sustain ~920mbps across my local gigabit backbone, so it should not be a problem on yours. Of course, you're always going to get a bit less than a gigabit because of overhead...

Cake is quite cpu intensive. While my WRT1200AC can handle a 500mbps net connection using layer_cake (which is more intensive than piece_of_cake), I've never tried cake on a gigabit connection, but the cpu utilization at speeds between 400 - 500 mbps seems to leave quite a bit of headroom.