Sudden intermittent Internet access over WiFi

I have a Linksys WRT1200AC running OpenWRT 18.06.1. My WiFi was working like a dream up until 2 days ago. All of a sudden, devices could connect to WiFi but there'd be no Internet access. This is the case for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. In fact, sometimes one network seems to work while the other doesn't. I didn't make any configuration changes on the router. I checked on my phone, for example, and it had an IP, gateway IP, etc but still no Internet access. Sometimes it'd connect and have Internet access but it'd be very slow. I also remember at one point being able to access the router over 443 from my laptop but not from my phone (will try to confirm that if/when the WiFi starts acting up again)? I also ran a packet capture and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (to my limited understanding). Anyway, things went back to normal after several hours or something like that but then it started again last night. I will connect to the router via Ethernet later today to troubleshoot further once I get my hands on the cable/adapter I need. I also plan on updating to latest firmware later today as well. Just wanted to get a head start with the experts here in the forum in case updating doesn't help. Rebooted several times to no avail. Is this a possible sign of failing hardware? Thanks in advance for your time and help.

cat /etc/config/network:

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd95:2dc0:02ff::/48'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'

cat /etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option country 'CA'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option legacy_rates '1'
        option channel 'auto'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option txpower '9'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option macaddr '5a:ef:68:0d:37:41'
        option ssid 'Malware'
        option key 'hehe'
        option encryption 'psk2'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
        option legacy_rates '1'
        option country 'CA'
        option txpower '9'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option macaddr '5a:ef:68:0d:37:40'
        option ssid 'Malware-2'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'hehe'

First you should verify that your internet connection itself (from your isp) is not the actual source of the problem. Test connections via Ethernet and also from the router itself (via ssh) to the Internet. Have you done that yet?

Thanks psherman. Just tried pinging google.com from my router and it worked (but I'm currently not experiencing issues). I will test the ping from router again if/when the issue crops up again. Will test connection via Ethernet later today.

You might also try setting radio0 to a non-dfs channel instead of auto in /etc/config/wireless, I think CA is Canada(?), if so, here are the dfs channels.

edit - well never mind, didn't see that it was on both bands, I'm on a wrt1200 too and I'm not experiencing this issue on the snapshot build from a few weeks ago, I didn't have it on the 19.07.* stable builds either, so yeah, upgrading might be worth a try.

1 Like

haven't had a chance to grab an Ethernet cable/adapter but fingers crossed I won't need to as everything seems fine now knock on wood. like psherman said, i think it might've been some issues on the ISP end. thanks all

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.