STP doesn't work

Well, I made STP test with topology like below, and results are slightly better

I can barely type anything while stp works, sometimes some of devices stop responding.

Is there any way I can make a live debug of stp feature to find out what's the problem?

If (and this is just a supposition) you are bridging all the LAN ports on the routers, then all the traffic handling work relies on the internal switch, and I am not sure those will support STP. I think (and this is another wild guest) that you need to define different interfaces for each LAN port, so the bridging happens on the CPU, which does support STP.

1 Like

According to the OpenWrt developer's post, when bridging these DSA port, the DSA driver is smart enough to do it on the switch only, without going through the CPU. It offloads the work to the hardware switch, relieving the CPU from unnecessary processing, but obviously the cheap integrated switch does not support STP. I never try to do that and really have no idea what will happen either.

To answer the original topic question, yes STP does work on my non-DSA devices. You will have to use VLAN to force traffic into the CPU and enable STP. It takes 20-40 seconds to realize a broken link and failover to another, in my simple home setup. I do not think plugging a cable to 2 ports is a good way to test STP though (I hope someone can explain why it does not work).

3 Likes