Station and AP Interfaces on RPI 3B+

Hi, I am new to OpenWrt so this may be a rather basic question, but I was not able to find an answer online.

I have a Raspberry PI 3B+ and I'm using the openwrt-22.03.0-bcm27xx-bcm2710-rpi-3-ext4-factory.img. What I am trying to do is, get an access point and a station to come up together on the single radio that is available.

Using hostapd and wpa_supplicant I was able to get this functionality to work on the Raspberry PI 3B+ using the latest Raspberry PI OS installation.

However when I try the setup with OpenWrt, both wireless interfaces are UP but in a DOWN state. If I disable one wireless interface through UCI the other will work, but they do not seem to want to work together.

sta: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27:eb:ac:39:af brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

ap: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel master br-lan state DOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether ba:27:eb:ac:39:ae brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I have tried the setup using the wpad package, and also with the full hostapd and wpa_supplicant pacakges installed.

If I run the following code and wait

while(true); do ip link show dev sta | grep 'state UP'; done

I will see that the station does briefly try to come up, but then goes down, this will happen every 10 seconds or so.

My question is, is this possible with OpenWrt and the RPI 3B+ or is there something in OpenWrt that is preventing the 2 wireless interfaces from coming up together?

brcmfmac can't do that, it's a hardware/ firmware limitation - you have to decide, either STA xor AP mode. Only one of the reasons why the RPi makes a terrible wireless device - and the RPi3 doesn't even excel in wired-only configuration.