State of Archer C7 v2 in mid-2020

@lycanwrath Do you use my build or official ones? I did not find any way yet to install officially built kmod's into my build. I first also thought it should be somehow possible because I've built from the official release commit so expecting the kernel is the same.

I am using your 19.07.5 build, I flashed the file openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory-eu.bin

From what I am reading, the issue happens because the kernel/firmware hash changes as soon as it is modified and recompiled, making the package install/update process fail.

The only way to install the package is to include it with the firmware or have it created as a module at time of commit.

"
snapshots are built daily, and that sets time limits to installing new packages with opkg. Due to kernel version checksums, you can only install “kmod” kernel modules and other kernel version dependent modules from the exactly same snapshot build. So, a few hours after flashing the firmware you may not be able to install new modules with opkg any more (as the next snapshot has been built into the download repo and has different checksums).
"

Source:

1 Like

I think this article might be a solution to the issue of opkg install:-

1 Like

Hmm... thanks. but i think as we swapped included kmods it won't work. We need the non ct drivers.

Using ath10k non-ct drivers OpenWrt 19.07.5 here. I've got rock solid stability most of the time and throughput is a dream with non-ct drivers. After about 30 ... 40 days, 2.4 GHz WiFi devices can no longer discover or log into the Wifi SSID. I've investigated the logs closely moreoften when this happened and installed syslog-ng to be able to compare a working state with a non-working state. I've noticed so far, when the problem begins the line:

netifd: Network device 'wlan1' link is up

for 2.4 GHz Wifi is missing. Issuing "wifi up" via SSH to the device brings it back to life. What I don't understand: I use cron to modify the wireless conf to turn off radios at night and the script also ends with "wifi up". Today, the wifi up after the night failed (above log line missing) and manually issuing "wifi up" solved the problem.

What problem does the driver/hostapd/netifd or whatever have here? It's coming sporadic and can be solved with "wifi up" or "reboot" (I'd like to avoid rebooting). Anywhere to file a bug report you'd wish I'd do?

1 Like

That issue is slowly getting out of hand.
In the past few weeks I also noticed the same behaviour on the 5 GHz network for a few times.
Only a reboot of the router could fix it.

Is there any command I can run so that ONLY the wifi part gets restarted?
I would then set this as a cron job to run everynight....
This hopefully works around the issue. But there is clearly something broken in the firmware.

@TheHellSite

wifi

or

wifi up

helped me when the wifi stopped working last time after 32d uptime without issues. I thought I needed to reboot sooner or later after that, but until today it's
still running stable. uptime is now 45d.

Continued in: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/state-of-tp-link-archer-c7v2-v5-in-2021
Please close if appropriate.

1 Like