SQM tweaks and best latency for connections over 650Mb

I think the 37ms is doable in my case with SQM enabled. I thought you can do better but seems not the case with DOCSIS

1 Like

You can try pinging Frankfurt via Vultr if yout close to them servers.
ping fra-de-ping.vultr.com

or Dusseldorf, DE
ping lg.as24961.net via myLoc
ping mirrors.xtom.de via xTom

my call, provider shenannigans

Because everything over 250 mbit is routed and controlled differently at Vodafone and seems to cause problems

hahaha, you've nailed man.. that's the real answer

the ping works with aver. 20ms

Sounds about right for DOCSIS/Cable however when i was on Cable ISP my ping ms from my home in London to a server in London also was abut 15-19ms. Never seen anything small then this, but worse between 5pm-9pm as the pings was all over the place anything from 15-37ms most of the time. Sad cable ISP :frowning:

1 Like

Mind you the numbers I gave are for full bidirectional saturation, aka the worst case. Without load things could be considerably better, but that 20-40 ms is something you might encounter in real live. A few sparse UDP flows might do a bit better but the core of cake/fq_codel is that it will allow a standig quueue or the same duration as the target parameter. And it does so for good reasons, these (by default) 5ms worth of buffering act as shock absorbers; say if a short burst of packets comes in at too high ingress rate, this buffer allows to store the packets and send them out spaced regularly at the set shaper rate without having to drop those packets coming in too fast. (Eventually if the ingress rate is not only transiently high but for too long cake/fq_codel will drop packets to signal to the endpoints of an affected flow that they need to slow down).

Yes, for an unloaded link these numbers are a tad high, but the DOCSIS segment might simply be running at capacity making delivery a bit choppy. (His ISP Vodafone in Germany is aggressively trying to increase its customer base by offering 1000/50 Mbps for ~40EUR/month which is exceptionally attractive price, the incumbent takes 80EUR for its 1000/200 FTTH plans to give some perspective. That is why VF's customer base might be growing and switching to high rate plans resulting in segments that might see a bit more load than one would wish for)

1 Like

UK Virgn Media do offer £62 pounds, 72.50 Euros for 1G service via an cable/dcosis provider.

Both ISPs are owned by Liberty Global operating in 10 European countries as Virgin Media (UK/IE) Unitymedia (Germany) Telenet (Belgium) and UPC with 50% of Vodafone-Ziggo in Netherlands

@anon50098793 @moeller0 @dlakelan folks I can't thank you enough for your patience and help. maybe one last question on this topic. when I reduce down my speed to sub 300Mbit with Cake/fq_codel. latency is quite low so basically 20+6ms or something. is that a real latency? does this guarantee that the gaming experience is good enough? or it's expected that somewhere at my ISP infra something nasty will delay my traffic?

yep they are more or less the same

1 Like

If you experience that latency in a constant running ping even during speed tests, then yes it should mostly be kept to that range. Of course, at different times of day it can be different. For example when everyone turns on their streaming devices after arriving at home.

i think that will work very well... I think their shaper has a per node bulk limit ~ 250Mb/s and if all traffic from that customer remains below the roof... nothing will be classed BE/subject to additional policing (except for cvc oversubsription aka more cable customers)

1 Like

Great, then I can script it before playing turn on SQM with download/upload option to 250/20Mb/s, and when I'm done turn the SQM off. this is actually the only thing (at least for my use case) where latency matters that much

1 Like

stupid question is it possible to enable SQM on a specific device(maybe by MAC address)?

yeah... automating it (properly) is a little tricky tho due to hysteresis (time since seen, traffic is active etc. etc.) there was a thread about it 6-12months ago... a web page or luci command where you click 'on' and 'off' is a tad better simpler... the iptables pps logger + watcher idea from dlakelan is a pretty decent solution for seamless automation...

1 Like

Hi, could you correct my handle for future reference and search results purposes? Thanks.

1 Like

Not really, for SQM to actually control latency under load it needs to see all traffic. You can use e.g. cake's diffserv keywords and prioritize specific packets if you think your gaming requires that, which if configured with restraint can work well (prioritization really is a zero sum game, for every packet you prioritize another packet will conceptually have to wait a bit longer, so if you try to prioritize too much, you essentially prioritize nothing). Have a look at the qosify module for OpenWrt as an easy entry into the world of priority games :wink:

If you can you should increase the upload again, a download of 2650 is just fine, but for upload mini-slot scheduling depends partly on load, so you might get less variability under upload saturation if you set the upload shaper a bit higher. But by all means test this out to see which rates work well for you, and if 250/20 is already "perfect" for you, do not bother to change just because I believe 250/30 might be achievable.

1 Like

is there a way to install this without building the whole module? I think the package not available in the stable repos
@anon50098793 maybe something that can be added to your images?

its under 'current' (testing)... and being rapidly developed so you would be advised to use this flavour/version...

it appears to also be available in 'stable' (albeit using non recent version)

vert@peanut:/fs/sdd1/openwrt/RTNGext/cache/rpi4/misc/_oldbumplists$ grep qosify *
diff-r17900_r18086:> qosify - 2021-11-12-bfc2cafe
diff-r17900_r18161:> qosify - 2021-11-21-2743e587
diff-r18086_r18161:< qosify - 2021-11-12-bfc2cafe
diff-r18086_r18161:> qosify - 2021-11-21-2743e587
diff-r18086_r18270:< qosify - 2021-11-12-bfc2cafe
diff-r18086_r18270:> qosify - 2021-11-22-06872673
manifest.r18086:qosify - 2021-11-12-bfc2cafe
manifest.r18161:qosify - 2021-11-21-2743e587
manifest.r18270:qosify - 2021-11-22-06872673
1 Like

thank you, can you point me where to grab the package, opkg doesn't see it

opkg install qosify
Unknown package 'qosify'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package qosify.