SQM problems with TP-Link WDR4300 18.06 Ath 71x K4.9

Dear readers,

I am trying to set up OpenWrt with SQM all according to the following settings:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm

Currently my fiber connection provides 500/500 Mbit/s.
I don't expect the WDR4300 to handle this. 100/100 would be fine to begin with.

As this is for testing only I have set SQM to 90/75 on my WAN port. Everything works flawless except my TV. It stutters, voice keeps going but Video stutters. The WDR4300 processor is far from it's limit +- 0.60

With SQM disabled I get speed up to 240Mbit/s and no stutters , when I download with 240Mbit/s my tv stutters even more.

What is necessary to stop the TV Video stuttering. The TV uses a different Vlan

(If you need more info, please tell me)

With Kind regards,
Winos

Which algorithm are you using? Simple, piece of cake, ..., ?

(At least in my testing, a little over 100 Mbps, aggregate up and down, is about all you can shape with an Archer C7v2.)

1 Like

Cake and Piece of Cake

1 Like

My gut feeling is that you’re at or beyond the limit of what your router can shape reliably. I’d try just the TV (and nothing else using the Internet) and adjust the target bandwidth to a point where the stuttering goes away (if it does). From there you can make some informed decisions about where to go next.

@Jeff
Yes, you're right 85000 and no problems since then.

Is there a reasonably priced router fully supported by OpenWrt which handles 220 / 270 mbit/s with SQM and no stuttering TV? I really want to downgrade the speed provided by my ISP due to it's pricing. Wi-Fi is not necceseary as it's handled by my AP.

I would appreciate your opinion, I find your answers everywhere around this forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t tested either the mvebu-based devices like the EspressoBin v7 or things like the EdgeRouter with flow offload. At least right now, I’d consider the ipq40xx-based devices marginal for SQM at the rates you’re asking about. I can’t comment on performance with flow offloading as it isn’t working on master right now. It may open up more choices.

I'll Check those out. Thank you very much.

do yourself a favor and buy some recent, smallish, embed/media-pc (x86)

1 Like

It is only the “reasonably priced” criteria that kept me from that recommendation. Even at the US$75-300 / month that residential Internet service can cost in the US, many consider a router over $200 not to be “reasonable”. Without having tested an mvebu-based router, the only things I've tested that can achieve over 500 Mbps, aggregate with SQM running, are x86_64/AMD64-based.

For running SQM on a gigabit symmetric line, WireGuard at anywhere near gigabit rates, or OpenVPN at over 100 Mbps, the mid-priced, AMD GX-412TC units are insufficient.

A quick price check on the ODROID H2 is about $150 for board, case, fan, and PSU (comparable in content to many "mini PC" offers), $35-80 for one or two sticks of memory, and $5 and up for storage of your choice; USB stick, eMMC, cheap SSD, good SSD, dual SSDs, ...

@jeff @fuller

Please allow me to share the following;

My networking interests got sparkled after I discovered OpenWRT some years ago. Until then, I was clueless what connected us as mankind. It is incredible that a small team of developers and lots of enthusiasts created a firmware (OS) which is very versatile, sophisticated and yet has a small footprint.
It runs on such micro powered devices. No matter what I can wish, OpenWRT has it!. all on my 2 Watt router. Bravo! I have so many questions in my head,

So both of you actually advise to take a X86_64 based machine.
Which board/cpu should I be looking for that is fully supported by OpenWRT?
I must say that the ODROID H2 is looking quite promising.

I cannot let the opportunity pass not to ask :slight_smile:
What is the main reason people go for such powerful devices, I read a lot about Hardware nat which is supposed to have several limits in entry level devices. Are there more things going better after switching?

For me, some of the reasons are

• Significantly more powerful hardware
  • No switch bleed
  • More robust disk systems
  • Can run server distros

Power consumption, with the right components, is around 10 W or less at the wall, less than many ARM-based all-in-ones.