SQM performance on OpenWrt 22.03.5

Currently I am using a router from xiaomi (mi mini) to do repeater via relayd, I use it with LEDE 17.01.7.
I am very disappointed with later versions of OpenWrt (due to new LEDE not exist anymore), SQM performance on latest version 22.03.5 is very bad, bufferload when I disable SQM is always at 1000-2000ms, and when I turn on SQM it works, but it only down to 300-400ms, almost unusable due to the high latency, and the router also emits a lot of heat,I don't know what the developers did to make my router work so slow, even the Interface interface takes longer to load, and the software package always fails to download.
I love LEDE 17 so much, I wish developers make such good versions like this, SQM on this version works perfectly, from 1000ms down to 29-45ms when I playing ames, and the router works very fast and stable and not as hot as the latest version.
OpenWrt developers please improve quality firmware in version 23.05 because I don't think my 128mb ram router can't use OpenWrt as smoothly as LEDE did. I'm very interested in security patches so i try to install new versions
I am so sad that OpenWrt is getting worse year by year, I don't have much money to buy new devices due to the expensive cost, this is the most powerful router I have used in 4 years, my internet is only 30mbps (emitted by the landlord and they did not let me connect the lan) .I am not too concerned with expensive devices, please send to development.

it's called time/progress, you still use a cell phone with physical buttons ?

feel free to strip whichever release you'd like, to match your requirements / expectations.

there's nothing wrong with the quality, your device is 8+ years old.

then I hope you'll keep enjoying the LEDE release you're using.

1 Like

I think this must be because openwrt software has many functions so it makes the system respond slower, I use Snapdragon 845 (and laptop core i5 gen 10 so i think the problem is with firmware on openwrt) and sometimes the router heats up I even have to unplug the power and plug it back in

SQM is heavy on the CPU, and newer kernels requires more CPU (and RAM) power than the old ones. too.
running it on an old device sure doesn't help.

1 Like

Can you at least tell us what device you are using.

I have 8/64 devices that work completely fine on 22.03.x and 23.05.0-rc

1 Like

it's in the 1st sentence of OPs initial post.

1 Like

My router I'm using MiWifi Mini

I think this is like installing Windows 11 on a 10 year old pc ???

I will upgrade to MiRouter R3G, I think it's more powerful than the one I'm using

try getting your hands on the R3G v1, it got more RAM and flash.

1 Like

Thank u for your help

Not with quite that much of a steep cliff, but in principle, yes. Keeping on top of issues (security and functional), as well as supporting new requirements (hardware and new features; e.g. ten years ago 'no one' was even dreaming about 1 GBit/s wan speeds, let alone 2.5- or 10 GBit/s, just to name one example) requires updating and staying current, as well as supporting new features (e.g. WPA3 and everything that comes with that, like https/ SSL). This slowly pushes the bar, bit by bit, old- and old low-end deviced will feel this first and will become unviable (first for more ambitious tasks, later completely) and will get deprecated over time. While OpenWrt can provide an actually current and 'secure' software compilation longer than most vendors do, there are limits to that - and sticking to old (EOLed) versions is not an option.

Just like you can think of old computers that absolutely excel with w2k or wxp, but crawled to a halt with vista and upwards. While running linux distributions typically extends the life time of these systems considerably, there are limits to that as well (the web, the world, is changing, today's web browsers do need gigabytes of RAM, graphics-/ video acceleration and fast block storage, more than the complete systems did a decade ago).

Due to the small improvements in typical wan speeds until ~2015, this only happened slowly and gradually, but since then (with the advent of VDSL vectoring, docsis >=3 and fibre to the home, as well as increasing demands from the wireless (speed, number of idling clients (IoT, wpa3, ...) and raised expectations with cloud based computing and home office requirements) we're seeing a sharp increase for new network infrastructure devices (mips is dead, ARMv7 only had a short intermezzo, modern stuff is all ARMv8 and x86_64 is increasingly required to meet performance demands) as well. It doesn't help that upstream software typically understand 'embedded devices- and development' as 'smartphone' and up, with gigabytes of storage and RAM, as well as 4-8 cores running beyond 2 GHz (ARMv8+)...

1 Like

I have always thought that routers and internet have less innovation and upgrade than smartphones or computers, I never thought I would have 4 cores and 8 threads with cheap core i5, lol

quad-core routers have already entered the entry level devices (e.g. ipq40xx), high-end routers (ipq807x or filogic) have reached 4*2.2 GHz and 64 bit (ARMv8, cortex a53). Keeping ftth and wifi6 busy requires speed, lots of it.

1 Like

I wish there was a tool to check router performance like antutu on my phone

it's not as easy as one would think, since it depends on the use case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.