SQM doesn't do its job

from 4 users

Okay, if these 4 send simultaneously, each will get ~1 Mbps with your current settings, or assuming your gaming also needs loads of bandwidth each will get 4/5 = 0.8 Mbps. As far as I can tell that should be enough for most games?

mmm ok, so I keep this setting current, don't I have to modify anything else?

So while doing the modifications in my router something unexpected came up, apparently all the configuration I did was lost was the factory reset, I guess because this router does not have support for openwrt in the forum, so out of laziness I looked for another router with the ones Same features and if it had support I tried it and it turned out that if it runs openwrt, maybe it is because the configuration was lost?

That sounds suspicious, if your router does not maintain its configuration over a reboot, your issue might be not so much that sqm is hard to configure, but more that you might loose your sqm configuration randomly, no. Maybe you write a more detailed description in your native language, and I will try google translate to make sense out of it?

Bueno, hice una publicación sobre mi enrutador OpenWrt support for TL-WR841HP V5?
ya que aparentemente no está en la lista de openwrt como un dispositivo compatible, así que vi el hardware que tiene mi enrutador y parece que hay varios enrutadores con el mismo hardware que el mío
entonces decidi probar el router TP-Link TL-WR840N v4 corriendo openwrt compilacion 19.07.3
en mi router al parecer funciona bien openwrt

So you installed the firmware image for a WR840Nv4 on your WR841HPv5 by using the force option? Or did you switch your router for an WR840Nv4?
Anyway, if you use a non-matching firmware image things might easily go wrong.
Please continue testing, and if you encouter the problem again with increased latency during whatsapp uploads, run the following command tc -s qdisc to check whether the sqm shaper is still instantiated and post its output here, thanks. And btw, I live on the other side of the world, so am on a different night/day cycle :0

si tiene razón, use la fuerza en la instalación o eso, quiero decir, ya que usé tftp para flashear openwrt

1 Like

Por eso es que no te esta funcionando bien. Tienes que usar una version compatible con tu dispositivo.
Aun la mas menor diferencia puede causar problemas. Por ejemplo, la perdida de la configuración que te paso.

ENG: that's why it is not working, you need to use a build specifically made for your hardware. Even the most minor variances can cause issues, such as losing your settings, as happened to you.

1 Like

I am with TopDog, and am very suspicious of the almost fitting firmware image to cause some issues.
Please try to just run this and collect the tc -s qdisc output the next time you encounter the latency issues. Make sure to collect the data as quickly as possible, and also collect the output of uptime please to see how long the router was running at that time.

P.S.: I like TopDog's style of adding an english translation immediately to a spanish/non-english text, as the forum's language is english, I wish I had thought about proposing that.

incluso si es el mismo hardware?

It is not the same hardware, as your linked thread showed, different RAM amount, different CPU speed, etc.

So do not even try. Please find a supported piece of hardware. I'm sure that with all the pandemic network upgrading going on, some people are selling off older, but well-supported hardware. For example an Archer C7 (TP-Link).

tenia el archer c7 v5 tuve que venderlo ya que no se acomodaba a mis necesidades con openwrt lo primero que notaba era que no me daba el plan contratado de mi isp era muy baja la velocidad de internet mal equipo

Mmmh, I am pretty sure I have seen results with Archer C7s reaching your bandwidth with SQM, so could it have been that your unit was defective?

Edwpat, I have a lot of experience with C7s (hundreds of units), and they are very good hardware, and can absolutely keep up with the speeds shown in your tests. The latest OpenWRT Wifi for them has a few issues, but as far as SQM, they work fine at less than 100Mbps.

recientemente entre a jugar entonces en media partida mi latencia se subio a 900ms entonces queria saber el porque pero no recorde que comando era para ver eso

root@OpenWrt:~# tc -s
Usage: tc [ OPTIONS ] OBJECT { COMMAND | help }
       tc [-force] -batch filename
where  OBJECT := { qdisc | class | filter | action | monitor | exec }
       OPTIONS := { -V[ersion] | -s[tatistics] | -d[etails] | -r[aw] |
                    -j[son] | -p[retty] |
                    -b[atch] [filename] | -n[etns] name |
                    -nm | -nam[es] | { -cf | -conf } path }
root@OpenWrt:~# uptime
 02:33:58 up 2 days,  1:25,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

aunque solo esto logre ejecutar cuando la latencia bajo

Please use the full command:
tc - s qdisc
So that we can see whether the Shapers are still active.

And it would be excellent, if you could also include an English translation of you Spanish text....

root@OpenWrt:~# tc -s qdisc
qdisc noqueue 0: dev lo root refcnt 2
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 ta                                                                                                                     rget 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 8117643145 bytes 7975325 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 13)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 13
  maxpacket 1462 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 24 ecn_mark 0
  new_flows_len 0 old_flows_len 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev br-lan root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.1 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc cake 800d: dev eth0.2 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 2Mbit besteffort dual-srchos                                                                                                                     t nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 22 mpu 64
 Sent 332921638 bytes 1935838 pkt (dropped 224342, overlimits 1430984 requeues 0                                                                                                                     )
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 340704b of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 2Mbit
 min/max network layer size:           28 /    1500
 min/max overhead-adjusted size:       64 /    1522
 average network hdr offset:           14

Tin 0
  thresh          2Mbit
  target          9.1ms
  interval      104.1ms
  pk_delay       18.9ms
  av_delay        5.0ms
  sp_delay         17us
  backlog            0b
  pkts          2160180
  bytes       351628180
  way_inds        33356
  way_miss        25709
  way_cols            0
  drops            1489
  marks               0
  ack_drop       222853
  sp_flows            2
  bk_flows            1
  un_flows            0
  max_len         11888
  quantum           300

qdisc ingress ffff: dev eth0.2 parent ffff:fff1 ----------------
 Sent 7728798900 bytes 6707806 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc cake 800e: dev ifb4eth0.2 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 53Mbit besteffort dual-d                                                                                                                     sthost nat wash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 22 mpu 64
 Sent 7826038979 bytes 6704480 pkt (dropped 3326, overlimits 6684796 requeues 0)                                                                                                                     
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 1243872b of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 53Mbit
 min/max network layer size:           46 /    1500
 min/max overhead-adjusted size:       68 /    1522
 average network hdr offset:           14

Tin 0
  thresh         53Mbit
  target          5.0ms
  interval      100.0ms
  pk_delay        166us
  av_delay         56us
  sp_delay         12us
  backlog            0b
  pkts          6707806
  bytes      7830435816
  way_inds        47221
  way_miss        24578
  way_cols            0
  drops            3121
  marks               0
  ack_drop          205
  sp_flows            1
  bk_flows            1
  un_flows            0
  max_len         23392
  quantum          1514

I took this out when I was playing and suddenly the latency went up

What latency increase did you see?
Cake's egree/upload counters report 18.9ms, while single full size packet takes around 6ms, so if there are 3packetscahead of your game packet from eligeable flows you will see such latency... But I have a feelibgvyou see bigger delays in your game?