SQM - Choosing appropriate WAN interface

Hi,

I would like to ensure that SQM is properly shaping download and upload traffic. In reading the SQM documentation the advise is to choose the WAN interface. Could you validate whether I'm choosing the most appropriate WAN interface in my set up?

• My connection is a symmetric 940Mbps fiber to the premise. I use a WRT3200ACM router
  • Internet traffic is on VLAN35
  • I'm using Cake - piece_of_cake on the WAN interface eth1.35 but the other option is pppoe-wan

Thanks in advance!

Are you using pppoe on your connection?

Yes, I do as described by the ISP.

@moeller0 will have to confirm but I think the only difference between using the vlan interface and the pppoe interface is what you would put for overhead. You can use the vlan interface and then ignore the pppoe overhead and use just the vlan overhead

Would the overhead be something I would only notice in jitter or latency or by observing CPU and Memory usage?

Yes, I agree, on the VLAN interface the PPPoE header is part of the payload that is already accounted for. But you still need the overhead for lower layers, with VLAN ans symmetric Gbps, I expect good old ethernet, so 38+4=42 Bytes of per-packet-overhead. The numerical value alone indicates that is must be the correct answer ;).

It depends, if you underestimate the per-packet-overhead, you can run into the situation that with smaller than full MTU packets, the shaper underestimates the transmission times on the link and hence will admit data too fast into the lower level devices, causing queueing/bufferbloat there (showing up as increases latency and increased jitter).
If you overestimate the true applicable per-packet-overhead, you will just sacrifice a bit of peak throughput...

So the choice would be SQM on the PPPoE interface with a 42bytes of overhead.

I wouldn't need to add additional SQM for the LAN or the VLAN.

No it's 42 on the vlan interface you add more for pppoe

Thanks. So my set up is as this right now:

2 SQM Instances:

• 1 PPPoE 44 overhead

• 1 VLAN 35 42 overhead

No just one or the other there is no need for both

Ah thanks and thank you for your patience. I'm learning some of the basics.

Mmmh, just use 50 bytes that will cover 38 bytes ethernet overhead + 4 bytes VLAN overhead + 8 bytes pppoe overhead. That will have you covered.

1 Like

Thank you!

I will try this configuration for a few days but a couple of speed tests already show some good difference.

1 Like

I was doing fairly well with 34 bytes for ptm. I increased VDSL overhead to 44 bytes tonight because of upload spikes on dslreports and it cleared up.

1 Like

So the problem typically is that the true bottleneck (be it a physical link, be it a traffic shaper somewhere in the ISP's network edge) has a true gross rate and a true minimal per-packet-overhead, but end-users typically do not know any of these two values with sufficient precision to make precise predictions what values to set in SQM. The recommendation is to tentatively underestimate the gross rate and overestimate the per-paket-overhead to keep bufferbloat low...

Let's assume we know the true rate (100 Mbps) and the true per-packet-overhead (100B, on top of the TCP IP overhead), with MTU (1500B) packets size, the values are unrealistic but help to illustrate the issue. The achievable TCP/IPv4-goodput (what typical speedtests measure, and what endusers consider ot be the speed of their link, and what, in the EU, ISPs are allowed to advertise) calculates like this:

true_rate * ((TCP/IPv4 payload size) / (packet size on bottleneck link))
100 * ((1500-20-20)/(1500+100)) = 91.25 Mbps

now if we reduce the gross shaper rate to 95 Mbps:

95 * ((1500-20-20)/(1500+100)) = 86.7 Mbps

or if we increase the per-packet overhead to

100 * ((1500-20-20)/(1500+184)) = 86.7 Mbps

in both cases we would send the same amount of traffic over the bottleneck (same goodput), but we reached that state by adjusting separate parameters. If the link only carries a true 86.7 Mbps we will have managed bufferbloat successfully for packets of size 1500.

Now, let's assume that the true per-packet-overhead is truly a ridiculous 184 bytes, but we reduce the MTU from 1500 to 300B, we will get:

95 * ((300-20-20)/(300+100)) = 61.75 Mbps

and

100 * ((300-20-20)/(300+184)) = 53.72 Mbps

respectively. Since 61.75 is larger than the true capacity of the link for 300B packets, the first setting now will produce bufferbloat, while the second does not.

Without knowing at least on of the parameters with certainty, we are reduced to a game of educated guesses. I hope this illustrates the issue...

The obvious sanity check would be to first run a speedtest with the normal MTU/MSS and then confirm the SQM settings optimised for that condition after using MSS clamping to reduce the MTU to something small. Here is a snippet that should work in /etc/firewall.user:

# special rules to allow MSS clamping for in and outbound traffic                                                                   
# use ip6tables -t mangle -S ; iptables -t mangle -S to check                                                                       
forced_MSS=216                                                                                                                      

# affects both down- and upstream, egress seems to require at least 216  (on macos)                                                     
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m comment --comment "custom: Zone wan MTU fixing" -j TCPMSS --set-mss ${forced_MSS}
ip6tables -t mangle -A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m comment --comment "custom6: Zone wan MTU fixing" -j TCPMSS --set-mss ${forced_MSS}

Depending on your client OS and the servers you might need to play with the actual forced_MSS setting, as different OS have different minimal MSS they accept. I had ot resort to take packet captures on the router to confirm for a given speedtest server that TCP packets did honor the clamped MSS...

2 Likes