Speedsettings MR8300

Hi all,

I have this openwrt linksys MR8300, worked fine and after some playing around i managed to get network working. My isp router was an fritzbox7530ax and this was hookedup and a speed test was nearly 1000mbps. I won't use this router and want to continue with the mr8300.

I'm no it related guy and to be honest have hardly a clue what im doing in the router. So like mentioned i managed with some copy pasting to create a config file and setup vlan7 to get a slow connection going. My max speed is now reduced to 150/160mbsps and upload 210mbps.

I'm struggling to find issues related our topics what to do. I'm hoping I can use some of you're expertise

Some data:
ISP: 1und1 Germany
Router linksys MR8300
Firmware Version: OpenWrt 22.03.5 r20134-5f15225c1e / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-23.093.57104-ce20b4a

Config file:

config interface 'loopback'
        option device 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd76:b6ea:5350::/48'

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth0'

config interface 'lan'
        option device 'br-lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option ipaddr '192.168.178.1'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option password '********'
        option ipv6 'auto'
        option delegate '0'
        option ifname 'dsl0.7'
        option device 'eth1.7'
        option username 'H1und1/ui*********@online.de'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option vid '1'
        option ports '0t 0t 1 2 3 4 5t'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option vid '7'
        option description 'vlan'
        option ports '0t 0t 5t'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option reqaddress 'try'
        option reqprefix 'auto'
        option device 'eth1.7'

ipq40xx can do routing (without software flow-offloading) at around 300 MBit/s, PPPoE reduces that further - so you're in the market for a (much) faster router. Especially with PPPoE in mind, I would suggest x86_64/ alderlake-n/ n100.

1 Like

How silly of me to think my old router would take it, i was looking in the settings and so on and never tought about the router limitations.
What would be a strong enough openwrt router for this task (maybe a hint :smiley:)

Thanks for you answer, otherwise i would be trying al types of configuration all weekend.

You need

and

to enable pppoe software offload with vlan, which will be 2-3 times less cpu consumption for same data. Yout router is powerful, but not enough to ignore per-packet offload disable/enable.

Thanks Brada4 for you're reply

Ok sounds like a solution, don't get me wrong here by the lack of my knowledge.
Is you're proposed solution a full solution or just something that will improve current router for the task?
My contract is a 1gbps and with the fritzbox 7530ax i was getting nearly that speed (986 Mbsp) what would do de trick for me.
With the MR8300 I get max 220Mbps and what would you're proposed upgrade do? would this mean I get full speed available or just a improvement.

I have this linksys wrt3200acm hanging as a AP and just looking in to this if I can replace the MR8300 with the 3200 as it supposed to be a better router. The only thing that holds me back is that I can't find any Vlan settings in the ui. LuCi>Network>Switch>Vlan is just not there.

My proposed upgrade will increase forwarding speed 2-3x i.e 650Mbps. You will need irqbalance or packet steering to go further (or new router)

The bug is that flow offloading (firewall acceleration) does not work with pppoe interface. Part one -> packets are oversized so every packet aborts offload state and re-enters flow into offload, extra work per packet. Second avoids hardware interfaces, maintaining ARP for wifi, but on the other side avoiding even heavier offload state remove/add in case of pppoe on hardware netcard.
I see you are on v22, upgrade to v23, otherwise it will be a pain to backport each line.

Or you can edit 2 files, just save backups and do fw4 check after your edits.

Many thanks for your explanation, I think the best and only way forward would be a router upgrade.

Kind regards.

You need to add 2 patches manually on top of snapshot or v23

Ill give the V23 a try! it's sunday and can't buy anything at the moment :rofl:
Any suggestion what would be a good router that supports openwrt, has vlan and has the capacity to run 1Gbps?

There is a deficiency with pppoe tigether with firewall offload, even 2x64core pc server will work 10x under spec in this very common situation. You will need this same quackery in either case.
Your router is quite powerful, maybe half of that fritzbox, it is bugs keeping it down.

https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128_ax-wifi

Bought an linksys ax3200, openwrt and that works like a charm, wired nearly hiting the 1Gbps.
Just wanted to say thanks for the support :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Mark issue as solved.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.