Hi, I'm considering to install OpenWrt on my Netgear R7800, currently I'm with dd-wrt.
But before a try, I've to know if is possible, with OpenWrt, to do all the functions that I need.
My setup is not so complicate but I want to be sure that in a way or other I can do all.
I need a stable release to be sure that I've to configure the router one time only. I don't need to update the router all weeks or so.
So, my actual configuration is:
Main modem (from my isp) that hold the connection (192.168.2.1)
Netgear router (R7800) that hold all the lan/connections at home (10.0.0.1)
So main modem and R7800 are connected through WAN port.
I've one NAS directly attached via LAN to R7800 with double cable and bond interface.
All my other devices at home are under WIFI connection.
As you can see, the initial setup is quite simple, now the service that I use and I hope/want to have with OpenWrt.
- Openvpn Server (to connect directly to the router when I'm out)
- Openvpn Client (connected to PIA)
- Static ip for some devices (I don't think this can be a problem, just to know)
- All the traffic from/to NAS must be under VPN, in order to do that on dd-wrt I use a pbr script (not mine), maybe here is not needed. Anyway, NAS can navigate only through VPN.
- Pia port-forward, currently I use a script to (not mine) to retrive the port-forward, and if/when the connection restart a new query for port-forward is made ... and so on
- I need to reach my NAS when I connect myself over Openvpn Server, but the NAS in under pia vpn. In order to do that I only set a iproute to my NAS, I don't think this is a business of OpenWrt, but maybe I'm wrong!
I think is all for now.
What do you think? Can I try to use OpenWrt or is not good for me?
Thanks for reading and suggestions.