Some questions before installing OpenWrt on R7800

Hi, I'm considering to install OpenWrt on my Netgear R7800, currently I'm with dd-wrt.
But before a try, I've to know if is possible, with OpenWrt, to do all the functions that I need.

My setup is not so complicate but I want to be sure that in a way or other I can do all.
I need a stable release to be sure that I've to configure the router one time only. I don't need to update the router all weeks or so.

So, my actual configuration is:
Main modem (from my isp) that hold the connection (192.168.2.1)
Netgear router (R7800) that hold all the lan/connections at home (10.0.0.1)
So main modem and R7800 are connected through WAN port.
I've one NAS directly attached via LAN to R7800 with double cable and bond interface.
All my other devices at home are under WIFI connection.

As you can see, the initial setup is quite simple, now the service that I use and I hope/want to have with OpenWrt.

• Openvpn Server (to connect directly to the router when I'm out)
  • Openvpn Client (connected to PIA)
  • Static ip for some devices (I don't think this can be a problem, just to know)
  • All the traffic from/to NAS must be under VPN, in order to do that on dd-wrt I use a pbr script (not mine), maybe here is not needed. Anyway, NAS can navigate only through VPN.
  • Pia port-forward, currently I use a script to (not mine) to retrive the port-forward, and if/when the connection restart a new query for port-forward is made ... and so on
  • I need to reach my NAS when I connect myself over Openvpn Server, but the NAS in under pia vpn. In order to do that I only set a iproute to my NAS, I don't think this is a business of OpenWrt, but maybe I'm wrong!

I think is all for now.

What do you think? Can I try to use OpenWrt or is not good for me?

Thanks for reading and suggestions.

J

If it is working ...why change?

Actually I've some problem with dd-wrt, old release have some problem, new release have other problems!

That is typically true for all software :wink:

3 Likes

You could start by not running double NAT

2 Likes

Yep, for this I need a pretty stable releas, that seems to not exist on ddwrt

I'm not so expert on network side, sorry, what do you mean exactly?

If I look into the future I see problems with openwrt ;- )

Your setup is not simple, it’s actually over complicated by using NAT twice. Your demands on VPN and port-forwarding are unclear.

What is clear is that no matter the OS, you should plan on roughly quarterly security updates. Internet-facing devices aren’t ignorable for years.

4 Likes

I tend to agree with previous posters: on the surface, your set-up can be simplified.

Having said that, I also moved my R7800 from dd-wrt to OpenWrt (though, I've got completely different hardware and a different topology now). Based on (fairly) recent experience:

and

I had all this running on dd-wrt and switched successfully to OpenWrt. Personally, I found VPN Policy-Based Routing + Web UI -- Discussion to be the 'path of least resistance' in terms of PBR.

Have fun!

2 Likes

...also be aware of that there are issues with ethernet performance on the IPQ8XXX platform which may affect you.

Port-forwarding are from pia, each time I connect to pia server (only selected servers) I can have a port opened for my purpose.

Quarterly update, is not a problem, I think. If all works like expected is only an update that in theory is already tested, right? For this reason I prefer a stable release instead a never-ending beta.

I'm not so expert, so I came with this configuration during time.
If I can simplify and I get the same results, why not! But currently I don't know how to do that. I'm happy to learn some new stuff.

The best would be: have a working router, with basics functions, then add time by time my "particular" configuration, so first the OpenVpn server, then the OpenVpn client and the last is experimenting the pia port-forward, maybe already exist some for OpenWrt.

@tectonic
What do you have now?
Why you switched from dd-wrt to OpenWrt?

I'm really don't know problem with Qualcom processor, is some serious or "negligible"?

Agree: good approach. Get the basics running, backing-up your config as you go, and then adding additional functionality

I'm on an APU2D2 board now (still running OpenWrt), with a separate Wireless AP. Switched partially out of curiosity and partially because I was impressed with my GL-iNet travel unit in terms of ease-of-use (I found dd-wrt to be a bit esoteric). Definitely happy with my decision.

3 Likes

@tectonic
Good setup!

You and @jeff previously said that my setup can be simplified ... how I can achieve this?
I don't know any other solutions that don't involve 2 nat

Does the modem provide a "pass-through" or "transparent" mode where another device gets the DHCP assignment?

That's the first question to research carefully and answer. If "yes", that is going to be the simplest approach.

1 Like

...or simply bridge mode :wink:

1 Like

Actually the main modem is under 192.168.2.1 and:
DHCP is enable and I added the R7800 to a static route 192.168.2.50, the R7800 is also under DMZ. I don't know if there's a kind of pass-through or transparent mode.
Then I connect the modem to WAN router port, so the R7800 hold the lan under 10.0.0.1

What you want to find out is if/how to make your modem give your OpenWrt install the public DHCP address, not to take it for itself.

Some do this "auto-magically", others require some configuration.