Some questions about the Linksys WRT3200AC

What's the general consensus about this router in regard to LEDE?
What's the best build?
If I need to go back to stock later on, can I just do it using the GUI or Putty? Or do I need to physically open the unit?

Thanks.

I have this router running LEDE on it and I love it. It runs pretty stable. I had an uptime of around 35 days, with heavy usage. The router wasn't up longer because we had a power outage. Only real downside I see with this router is, that it is not the cheapest.

Check if this page helps: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

Mm so I really need that USB-ttl huh? Mmm.

With the dual partition layout of the wrtpack members, the likelihood of needing the TTL serial cable is very low, but s*** happens. Just be sure you know the different ways to change the boot partition. And there is now a way from LuCI. And to to back to OEM from LEDE, assuming you did not leave OEM on one of the paritions, you will have to use SSH and force(-F) with sysupgrade, but you do not have to pop the top.

1 Like

Linksys currently has the 3200ac refurbs at $139, haven't looked at Amazon but you can usually find the same refurb prices there if you prefer, thinking about getting one myself now that the wifi seems to have stabilized from all I've read, just waiting to see if the refurb price drops any lower.

1 Like

I'm currently using LEDE Reboot 17.01.2, plus the updated wifi drivers (see my post at Pre-compiled updated mwlwifi drivers for stable releases).

2 Likes

@eduperez Thanks for the link that's exactly what i was looking for.
I assume it works for the current version 17.01.2 am I correct?
@anomeome Thanks I'm more optimistic now : ).

Edit: which resource heavy packages would you reccommend me to install on this router? Can it run snort?

I would install those packages that I need... Sorry, but it depends on what you want to use your router for. For example, I have a nfs server, email server, local wiki, adblocking, and more running.

I don't have snort installed, but I would guess, it works fine. Why not just give it a shot? The resources of this router aren't exactly scarce.

Yes. my current builds are compiled for 17.01.2

1 Like

Even better price today: $99.99 - see https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT3200ACM-RM/

That may just help me move from my Netgear WNDR3800's :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for the heads up @richb-hanover, I'm a buyer at that price.