Some questions about building from source

Are you sure your permissions aren't messed up for .config?

$ ls -lh .config
-rw-r--r-- 1 user group 264K 18 feb 22:59 .config

This was like a “wait a minute!” moment😂

I tried changing er4.config to .config and got error that said that name was occupied already.
Found how to show hidden files i Ubuntu and there it was!
The unknown Ath79 hidden .config file that was running the show.

I tried again with wrt3200acm (that is my trial and error device, er4 is the golden boy in the NOC so that have to wait) in a .config file and now it works.

There are two wrt3200acm to choose between in the device list?
One is rango and the other is only named wrt3200acm.

Do anyone know what the difference is between those two?

That's, erm... Funny, to say the least. I told you right off the bat the file is named .config. Post #5 in this topic:

I guess that means you don't realise so-called 'dot files' are hidden by default on Linux. My mistake to assume that's common knowledge :smile:.

2 Likes

Yea you are right, but I thought I could have a name on it before the period.
And the hidden file setting made it all more confusing.

No using custom names would only further complicate the buildroot. If you want to use multiple config files see post #2.

It's hidden by default to prevent people accidentally wiping it (and maybe for other reasons as well).

2 Likes

I thought hidden files only was a Windows feature…have had hidden files visible on Windows for ages.

What is the point of hide dot files when the rest is visible?

These libpam etc warnings at feed install that is known in this forum from before?

Do everyone get those or are we only supposed to always use the -f option?

Linux was designed as a multi-user system from the start, and user configurations were hidden files/directories in the user's home dir. It's convention.

Warnings are just that. Worry about errors.

1 Like

No difference except the name, a duplicate in the shown selection menu. For historical reason the Linksys codename rango is an alias for wrt3200acm

1 Like

Now when I have built a working wrt3200acm image with add on packages and installed it on a device.

How do you handle the function for DISABLED_SERVICES from the imagebuilder when building from source?

Or do you simply remove the package for the service?