[SOLVED] USB2 on Netgear R6120 doesn't detect any devices

Here is the output:
root@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep usb
[ 4.128956] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[ 4.139983] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[ 4.150640] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[ 4.202394] phy phy-10120000.usbphy.0: remote usb device wakeup disabled
[ 4.215675] phy phy-10120000.usbphy.0: UTMI 16bit 30MHz

And that is with usb memory stick plugged in. I'm getting the same result without the stick. And yes, I've tried different sticks.

opkg list-installed | grep usb ?

@evgeny71 Try remove usb-modeswitch package.

Output for opkg list-installed is in my first post

It was the same without this package. I've installed it to see if it can help me fix the issue.

Compared to the bootlog from the wiki it seems to be missing the hub, although it is visible in lsusb.
Could you try flashing again with a sysupgrade image this time?

I never succeeded running USB2 device on my TL-WR842ND V2 after building on ATH79 (DTS) target.
If I build on AR71xx target, USB is working. Might be the same problem...

If it is a bug in the build, it could be because some models need a GPIO pin to be set to turn on the power output from the USB port. Plug in a USB device that only needs power (e.g. try to charge a phone) and see if it gets power from the port.

1 Like

I seem to be walking the same path. I 've already done this twice. First by flashing sysupgrade image from local file and second time by issuing sysupgrade "url-to-the-file". Same result.

As I stated in my previous posts my smartphone doesn't get charge from this port. Thats why it makes me think that there is no power supplied to the USB port.

1 Like

Try to use USB hub with external power - it should close question with power line damage inside of router. If it will help - only power scheme was damaged, if it isn't help - whole USB port was dead.

1 Like

I've tried to plug USB hub with external power. The hub itself doesn't get detected. I've had nothing plugged in to it, but usually even empty hub gets detected as device of itself and it didn't happen. I can try to plug something in but I doubt it will change anything.

1 Like

So, it mean, that something wrong with D+ and D- (USB data lines) inside of connector or PCB of router. If it's under warranty - try to contact with service. But this issue can not be covered by standart warranty rules because USB connection can be simply damaged by customer. Try to open case and check components near of USB connector - you shoud see one GND pin (in can be connected to USB mettalic body and whole ground PCB layer. At another side of USB connector pinouts you should see +5V connector. It can be linked to internal +5V router power line or it can use separate stabilizer. Data lines - between GND and +5V, both should be connecter to main router's SoC through resistors, but this lines should be physically routed one near another. Try to check this PCB lines for any damage, try to check resistanse between connector and SoC pins.

1 Like

Just like I said earlier, it cannot be a hardware issue. This is a second device that works with its native firmware and doesn't work with Openwrt. There is no damage to the board, unless it was damaged by installing this firmware. Its a brand new factory sealed device. The port was operational out of the box with Netgear software.
It seems like its a bug in the build. I hope that the developers will see this topic.

Ah, OK. If it's work with stock firmware and it doesn't work with OpenWRT - it's look like OpwnWRT bug, you are right.

1 Like

Hey,

i've fixed other bugs with the R6120 some time ago, but the USB port never drew my attention. I can confirm your issue on my unit. The USB power is never turned on. I've prepared a patch which will (hopefully) be merged in some days:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1068635/

Best wishes

1 Like

Hello sir and thanks for finding time in efforts to fix this issue. I've already lost hope and considered this topic dead. ))
Unfortunately I'm not an expert but rather a noob in this. I don't know how to apply patches. Would you be so kind and give me details on how to do it?
Thanks again.

I did some research on how to patch files and recompile. It wasn't actually too complicated. Now the port is working just fine. Thanks again for your help.Its much appreciated.
All the best !

2 Likes

@evgeny71 If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. (Click the pencil behind the topic...)

You can also mark the reply that solved your problem:
grafik

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.