[Solved] "Unsaved Changes" feature: awesome!

There is certainty lot of work involved in the development of 19.07 (or any other regular for that matter), but the new "Unsaved Changes" feature in LuCI is certainly awesome. It shows the user the changes being made, keep track of them, minimise inturrption and service restarting by applying them together, while also giving the chance to review the changes and discard them should the user change they mind.

But the nicest part of it is that it shows how these options are tamales into uci commands and what files they affect; it's a great way to learn beyond the GUI.

Thanks to whoever thought of this feature.

2 Likes

That feature isn't new in 19.07.0, it has existed for quite a long time already (but it's definitely something to appreciate).

4 Likes

It never showed up on my 18.06!

That's the oldest release (15.05.1 "chaos calmer") I could download and test easily, without having to reconfigure my kvm setup (no 64 bit, no virtio, …), but I remember it going back further than that.

https://archive.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/x86/64/openwrt-15.05.1-x86-64-combined-squashfs.img without any changes (aside from the IP addresses and switching around eth0/ eth1), no additional packages installed - as vanilla as it came from the buildbots.

2 Likes

I didn't know! The only release I had before was 18.06 on Archer C7 and for some reason it didn't show me that! It would just apply the settings as soon as I hit save at the bottom of the page. I have already upgraded that device so I can't check again, but it doesn't matter now I think.

1 Like