[SOLVED] The Linksys WRT-3200ACM does support the HARDWARE random generator?

Hi community, I've upgraded my home router to the lastest available version (22.03.0 - Divested-Wrt), I want to know if my device has support for a real (hardware) random generator.

I ask this because of reading the wiki's entry for random generator, it's says that if you got a hwrng device at '/dev/', your device has random generator support by hardware, I've followed the instructions showed at the wiki to make use of the hardware device, but it isn't have found, when I make use of the software device (urandom) everything works well.

Do I need compile and/or install a kernel module to be able to make use of the hardware device or does is it as simple as my device doesn't have a hardware random generator device?

Thank you so much for your help and support, regards.

Install rngd - edit the config and enjoy.

That should be all you need. FYI, some kernels display entropy differently, there's more on the forum.

Hi @lleachii, thanks for answer me, I've installed rng-tools and made the process described at the wiki,but without luck, I don't see a config file for rng at my router (/etc and /etc/config), can you point me in the right direction please??

Thanks.

It's located in /etc/config/system

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the advise, I didn't have seen the config section at the system file, I was searching for a file.

The config is correct, but the hardware option doesn't work, I suposse that my router doesn't have a real RNG.

For most devices with a hardware RNG, it will be available at /dev/hwrng

To verify, you should be able to run cat /dev/hwrng to see a stream of random data. You wil have to hit CTRL+C to stop it.

2 Likes

@lleachii now it's more clear for me, thanks to your new advise, indeed, the device doesn't got a hardware rng, for me, the wiki article about rng isn't so clear as it could be, at least for me, when I`ve read the article and its last section about how to configure the rng to use (software or hardware), I've understood that if at /dev/ there is a hwrng device, your router has one, it has been my fault.

Thank you so much to clarify me the situation.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.