[SOLVED] Static Address Wireless Client Will Not Connect To Internet

SCENARIO
Setting up a wireless client in OpenWrt to a remote router connected to the internet with a static IP on the wireless client side.

Router RR -- A remote wireless router with an Internet connection, a static IP address block and a DHCP server address block
Router OR -- An OpenWrt wireless client of RR using a WWAN interface

WWAN "DHCP client" Protocol Works Fine
Connecting the OR radio as a wireless client of RR using LuCI in the usual way to create a WWAN interface with the default "DHCP client" protocol default presents no problems pinging lede-project.org via IPv4.

WWAN "Static address" Protocol Fails
However, switching the OR WWAN protocol from "DHCP client" to "Static address" the Internet connection is broken and pinging lede-project.org via IPv4 returns -- ping: bad address 'lede-project.org'

OR WWAN Static address set up
Protocol Static address
IPv4 address 192.168.0.3 (an unused address in the RR static IP address block)
IPv4 netmask 255.255.255.0
Ipv4 gateway 192.168.0.1 (RR router IP address)

I must be missing something obvious.

'bad address' means that DNS resolution failed. You need to tell the OR where to find a DNS server. Usually it is the main router-- that is set automatically with DHCP.

This is "use custom DNS servers" on the WAN configuration page, or "option dns" in /etc/config/network.

1 Like

That's it. I knew I was missing something obvious (and boy do I feel dumb, I should have known this).

Thank you mk24.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.