[Solved] Setting up guest WLAN in OpenWrt 18.06.2

Hi there people of knowledge,

I constantly fail at the configuration of a guest WLAN. My setup:

• TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1
  • OpenWrt 18.06.2 r7676-cddd7b4c77 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.079.57770-b99e77d)

The TP-Link is hooked up to a cable modem -> the cable modem is connected to the WAN port of the router and the router receives it's WAN IP address from the cable modem.

So, there are a few tutorials online, for example this from the openwrt documentation: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/guestwifi/guest-wlan-webinterface or this one by a german guy: https://blog.doenselmann.com/gaeste-wlan-auf-openwrt-access-point/ . So, both of them work - but not for me...

What did I do? The following steps:

Network -> Wireless -> Add a new WLAN with the name abc_guest and a WPA2-PSK passphrase. Works! Remember: I did not set up a Network in the Interface Configuration -> General Setup (I did it a few times and then the internet-connection was broken at this moment).

Next: Network -> Interfaces -> Add a new Interface with the name guest, Static Address, not bridged and covering the >>wlan0-1: Wireless Network: Master "abc_guest" (guest)<<. Then set up the IP address different from my other IP address and gateway and also the DHCP server. When i hit Apply & Save, my internetconnection is gone. In the Overview -> Network the IPv4 downstream looks like this before (left) and after (right):

The settings of the new "guest"-interface tooks over and finally there is no internet-connection from both the originally WLAN and the new guest WLAN.

I've red something about setting up a new route like:

config route
option interface 'xxx'
option target '0.0.0.0'
option netmask '0.0.0.0'
option gateway 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

But for which interface and which gateway (as for my understanding I red to set up the gateway with the cable modem IP, but this IP changes more often)?

Maybe there is an easy solution for this, but right now I don't know how to go further.

Thany you all in advance.

Goodbye.

It's unclear from your message what's coming to the WAN port. You mention the IP changes, so I would presume it's PPPoE. You don't need to fill the default gateway field. The router will handle that.

I would advise you simply:

• copy the LAN information to create a guest network, editing only the IP (this should make it bridged)
  • use eth0.3 for the interface
  • add it to its own firewall zone
  • Under wireless, create the AP, and add it to Guest Interface
  • I have no clue why you're creating a route
  • you should have no need to touch WAN
1 Like

Hi there and thank you all for your answers,

first question to be answered @Hegabo : the routers WAN port is connected to the cable modem.

Second: @lleachii I just follow the instructions, I don't know if I create a (new) route?! And further: I do not want to touch WAN in any way, it seems to be done automatically. But I will try your approach and respond if it's working or not.

Nona I don't understand what you don't understand. Maybe you can explain it to me what is unclear for you?

Thank you.

If you're on 18.06.1, 18.06.2 or a Development build Luci's behavior is a little different from normal when creating a Guest network. For example, when creating the Network in Luci > Network > Wireless > General Setup you have to click the field for a drop down menu, check Create, type in the name you want and then hit Enter on your keyboard to fill the field in, then Save or Save and Apply (whichever you want), if you just click save or Save and Apply without hitting Enter the field will be left blank. The same thing needs to be done when creating the firewall zone for the Guest Network.

And when creating the Static IP, Netmask and DHCP they all need to be done one by one, create the Static IP, click Save or Save and Apply, choose Netmask and click Save or Save and Apply, Setup DHCP and click Save or Save and Apply, if not done one by one the fields may remain blank. If all that's a little too confusing it's probably easier to do what @lleachii suggested and you can just follow the instructions here.

1 Like

@mike

It works like a charm when i just insert it via SSH. Unfortunately I was unable to edit the files with vim so I just have to install nano. With nano installed, everything was very easy!

Thank you very much for your kind support! To all of you!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.