[SOLVED] Router (Netgear R7800) introduced latency spikes >100ms

I wonder how that wil affect the life of the CPU, since it will now be running at maximum frequency.

This brings back vague memories of working with an underpowered phone running Android on its Linux kernel. There was a lot of tuning of the parameters around the governor required to get "snappy" response without draining the battery or putting the CPU into thermal protection.

It will probably shorten it somewhat, but I have not noticed any difference in the temperature: it is the same 45 Degrees Celsius when the network is not in use. Only time will tell; I am still experimenting.

cpuinfo_transition_latency for this CPU is 100,000 nanoseconds or 100 micro seconds: I am no expert, but five switches back and forth and 1ms latency is added...

I don't seem to have cpufreq on my Archer C7, but this link may have some helpful information. Post #4 is a "CPU Governor tuning guide"

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/ref-to-date-guide-cpu-governors-o-t3048957

Edit: Not that the dust is clearing, but sampling_rate_min, up_threshold and down_differential are where I'd start.

Yeah, that is too hard core stuff for me just yet. It is so much simpler to get myself an Archer C7 v2, flush @r00t's build on it, and immediately start regretting the purchase of the R7800 unit. There are no more latency spikes and the router seems to introduce almost no additional latency. It is pretty much like connecting directly to the modem. Just need to set it up as a family router to give it a good long term test.

The C7 behaved beautifully in my tests, but I decided to give my R7800 another chance and I seem to have mostly eliminated the spikes as described here: Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984) , so I will mark this as solved.

1 Like

@fantom-x this post specifically refers to people experiencing latency issues with the R7800. Maybe this build can solve your issues completely?: Build for Netgear R7800

Thx, I tried it already and it did not make any difference.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.