[Solved] Problems entering tftp mode

Hello.
I have installed openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043n-v5-squashfs-factory.bin on my wr1043n v5.
Trying to enter tftp mode to upload openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043n-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin with no luck.
Does someone know the way to enter tftp mode on the tl-wr1043n router with openwrt?

Regards Kjartan

Sysupgrade images can simply be flashed from Luci. No need to use tftp mode.

There are no Luci installed...... :frowning:

Kjartan

You don't need LuCI to sysupgrade, can also be done via CLI.

Yes Thomas.
But I have to transfer the sysupgrade.bin from my pc to the router first.
Kjartan

Hello.
I ssh'd my router and started dnsmasq.
Then on my pc I executed this command:
atftp --trace --option "timeout 1" --option "mode octet" --put --local-file openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043n-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 192.168.1.1

My openwrt answered:
root@OpenWrt:~# packet_write_wait: Connection to 192.168.1.1 port 22: Broken pipe

So I assume there is a connection but it fails.

Kjartan

You don't flash TFTP while OpenWrt is running. A TFTP flash requires putting the bootloader into TFTP mode by holding down the reset button while powering up. This interrupts the booting of whatever OS may be in the flash, and the bootloader accepts a TFTP file transfer and flashes it.

TFTP flashing is usually only considered for brick recovery. If OpenWrt SSH access is possible, it is simpler to upgrade with sysupgrade.

First you need to have the upgrade image in the router's RAM disk (/tmp directory). There are two main ways to do that.

If router is connected to the Internet, you can wget from the OpenWrt server direct to your tmp directory. Change the https to http because the default wget does not support SSL.

If router is not connected to the Internet, run scp on your PC to push the file to /tmp. Then log in with SSH and run sysupgrade.

Hello mk24.
I managed to transfer the sysupgrade.bin file with scp.
Then I connected to internet and installed luci.....
Now I'm very pleased :slight_smile:
Thanks to all help from everybody in forums.....

Kjartan

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.