[Solved] PPPoE Connected but No Internet (Tangerine Telecom)


So the thing is, I've attempted to give my Archer C6 v2 US (21.02.2) internet via PPPoE in Australia (Tangerine Telecom) through a Telstra Modem F@ST 5535. I did set it to bridge mode and all that.

The problem is, even when my C6 is connected via PPPoE, it doesn't give any internet access when using eth0.2; I've even resorted to trying MAC Spoofing to see if it's a MAC Lock by the ISP, and even then it's a no go.

At this point, I'm stumped on what to do. If there's anything noteworthy, the connection on the modem is done through PPP. I did use PPPoE as what the ISP instructed, but now I'm fresh out of ideas.

Send help, please.

Oh, just more information. When the modem is connected to the internet, it has an IP of 1xx.xxx.xxx.xxx; when it's the C6, it's 5x.xxx.xxx.xxx and that has no internet.

Does you ISP require VLAN tagging? (apparently it does, for lines connected before 2017 - while it may not, after 2017).

Tangerine Telecom says it's VLAN 100. Wait, how do I enable that now that DSA's the architecture being used? There's no switch menu item anymore in the current release of 21.02.

I'm still not fully familiar with the new software architecture, so help would be really nice.

if you used bridge mode on isp router doesn't it do pppoe by itself?

The gist of it, you use wan.100, instead of wan.

The modem we have disables the PPP Authentication completely. I guess you can say it's a true bridge mode of sorts and not the half-baked ones.

It literally shoves all the work on the third-party router.

…and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Right. Given that, I'll have to study a bit on DSA. I'll give an update as to my progress later.

Whelp, the progress is unfavorable thus far. I am getting a connection with the PPPoE with the IP 5x.xx.xxx.xx, and even then there’s still no internet. Even did the VLAN ID thing and all.

What should I do from here? Send some logs?

Probably start by pasting your configuration (/etc/config/network) - make sure to obfuscate private information (especially the PPPoE credentials!).

config interface 'loopback'
        option device 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr ''
        option netmask ''

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd62:37fb:75bf::/48'

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth0.1'

config interface 'lan'
        option device 'br-lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr ''
        option netmask ''
        option ip6assign '60'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option vid '100'
        option description 'Tangerines'
        option ports '0t 1 2 3 4 5'

config interface 'WAN'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option username 'redacted'
        option password 'redacted'
        option ipv6 '0'
        option keepalive '5 5'
        option mtu '1492'
        option device 'eth0.100'

config device
        option name 'eth0.100'
        option type '8021q'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option vid '100'
        option ipv6 '0'
        option mtu '1500'

The archer c6 v2 doesn't user DSA, yet (ath79), so don't follow https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/dsa/dsa-mini-tutorial).

Accordingly you're missing the (old-style) swconfig switch configuration for WAN/ VLAN 100, at least something like

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '100'
        option ports '0t 1t'  # <-- I have no idea if wan is hardware switch port1, adapt as necessary
        option vid '100'

Likewise you also need to drop your WAN switch port from the corresponding VLAN1 (switch_vlan) definition.

As is, the configuration is invalid.

I did adjust it, but I’m stumped with the option vlan 1 line.

I’m struggling with how to change that through LuCI.

Good news!

I got it connected. The mistake I made was with the credentials. The difference a "." can make in ensuring a connection...

My bad. Thanks for all the help so far.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.